Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

heat core leak

rob drag racer

vn vp drag nut
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
vp 3.8 with gas new project vn s1 guted strip only
trust me ive pulled 2 heater / ac / vent / fan boxes now the first one was easy i removed everything around it but the top half of the dash got it lose and tor it out with a ratchet winch and a tree the second one was to be reused and id charge 800 to do it the right way to its a pain and unfortunately Holden likes to keep us guys geausing they like to hide screws and bolts !!!

either way there's only one safe way to do it so good luck it took me a little over 12 hours just to pull mine

and as for buying another vn yeh well i paid 90$ for my new project vn running (running well) with a few small dents and good rubber so that i suppose is another option

Last edited:

camstatic

I'm back babeh.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS
Well using the heater will promote more flow in the heater core yeah, if you want, in the mean time, disconnect the two heater hoses from the firewall (engine bay side, they're behind the driver's side of the motor), and join them together using a brass water pipe joiner and a couple of hose clamps to bypass the heater core. It can't leak if there's no coolant at all getting to it! :)

That'll give you a bit more time to weigh up your options.

coolvxss

Reaction score
Members Ride
5sp VN Executive1988, VX SS 6sp
Well using the heater will promote more flow in the heater core yeah, if you want, in the mean time, disconnect the two heater hoses from the firewall (engine bay side, they're behind the driver's side of the motor), and join them together using a brass water pipe joiner and a couple of hose clamps to bypass the heater core. It can't leak if there's no coolant at all getting to it! :)

That'll give you a bit more time to weigh up your options.

That sounds like the easiest option for now. Has any done this with know problems?

camstatic

I'm back babeh.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS
The heater won't work, that's it.

Morton

For external use only
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairstar the Funship
It will also be a good opportunity to confirm that the leak IS from the heater core :)

Lost_Pete

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Wagon
There is the right way to fix it or the dodgey ways.

I delayed it for years with regular doses of Bars Leak.

Finally Bars Leak couldn't stop it any more so I did the cut and shut method. Takes some time due to the awkward place but works well.

I changed the radio at the same time and replaced all the bulbs as well but that's another story.