Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[Ecotec] Heat shield wont fit due to rocker cover bolts, need help.

2DIE

ONEDOLLAHOLLA
Reaction score
Website
www.torn.com
Members Ride
97 Acclaim
I bought this 2nd hand heat shield from ebay for around $30 a while ago, they cost around $100 from FIT so I snapped it up.

While I was putting on my new 1:9:1 rockers today I thought its a good time as any to fit the heat shield as the rocker covers were already off.

If anyone has taken the rockers covers off and taken out the bolts they will notice that the bolts are in a metal sleeve that doesnt come off and with a rubber case over the metal sleeve that does come off. The problem is that the metal sleeve wont fit through the hole in the heat shield and even if it did then the rubber wouldn't. Even then the heat shield would have to sit on top of the rocker cover and not between the head and rocker cover as it would make a gap for the oil to leak.

When they are new do they come with different bolts or some kind of instructions how to do it? It took me about a hour start to finish putting rockers on then spent over another hour trying to work out how to put the heat shield on until I figured its not possible unless I'm missing something or I use a angle grinder to make slots to the holes so I can slide it on sideways under the bolt heads then tighten them up.

I have searched these forums, google, FIT, v6performance, everywhere I can think of, none have instructions or if it comes with bolts to use while installing.

Thanks if anyone has had experiance installing one of these and knows how to get around it, short of different bolts I have no idea how it would supposed to be done.

Picture of the heat shield:

It has been fitted before to another car
jzk8wy.jpg

I didn't take pics of the bolts as I already put my car back together and took it for a drive to make sure the rockers were fitted correctly. I'll post pics of the bolts tomorrow too if it helps and no one has answered by then.

HIROLLA

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS SIII CAPRICE
dont bother with the heat shield it will cut your leads eventually from rubbing its a poor design from fit jump on l67torque.net and read about fit and there **** items

2DIE

ONEDOLLAHOLLA
Reaction score
Website
www.torn.com
Members Ride
97 Acclaim
I noticed how sharp (and rough) the edges are, I already filed it down smooth and will fit rubber edges around the lead area like the ones below.

BTW, I did notice notice most things they sell is made by others and bought by them and sold at a higher price.

sill-strips-black.gif

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
i think immortality was one of the first to make such a sheild on this forum then they started being sold on ebay etc not long after LOL

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
LOL the bolts should fit through the holes on the heat shield. to fit, put the bolts through the holes in the heat shield, put the rubber pieces in the holes on the rocker cover (the bolts on the top of the rocker covers should already be in to hold the rocker cover in place) then fit the heat shield in place on the rocker cover.

the FIT design sucks and will rub on the spark plug leads. my first design uses rubber grommets that fit in from the side (of the heat shield). unfortunately rubber grommets become slightly brittle from the heat over time. a alternative method is to use the spark plug boot/lead heat sleeves instead which should extend out through the heat shield and protect the spark plug leads from rubbing on the heat shield as well as protecting the spark plug lead from the heat around the exhaust manifolds.

2DIE

ONEDOLLAHOLLA
Reaction score
Website
www.torn.com
Members Ride
97 Acclaim
The bolts should fit but they don't, they have steel sleeves over all of them that are larger than the holes in the in the heat shield.

Ill take pics later today, just about to get ready to go out and watch the cow races at the Compass Cup soon :p

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
the holes should be about 10mm diameter from memory

soop

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 SS Commodore Series II
Jesus.
"Modify our product that you just paid good money for, to fit a car they were "desinged" for."

Send it back. That's pathetic customer service.

1TUFVS

High Ambitions, Low Funds
Reaction score
Members Ride
'95 VS Acclaim
Jesus.
"Modify our product that you just paid good money for, to fit a car they were "desinged" for."

Send it back. That's pathetic customer service.

Customer: Excuse me, I just purchased this mug and it has a large crack in the side.

Salesman: Fill the crack in.

Lawl.