Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Heater And Blower Problems

pcp20us

Reaction score
Hi guys.

This is my first post. Handy we site to find.

I have a VR. The fan for the cabin has stopped working on stops 1 and 2, but works on 3 and hi position? Any Ideas.

Since i bought the car. The pipe that carries the water to the cabin for the heater that is down near the drivers leg. This is alway hot as though there is a valve that is bugged or is this normal.

Ther car also leaks water occasionally under the passangers foot space. Thus you need to top up with water, when the gauge starts to move. If you fill up the resivour it doesn't seems to go into the radiator, you need to fill up the radiator?

If anyone has any ideas that would be great

Pete

markovr

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Members Ride
07vessv 94vr .04vz wgn,93vp wgn,82 vhV6 wgn 88 vn
Are you sure this water that is leaking on passengers feet is the green coolant or is the water draining from the air conditioning evaporator?
If you have a leaf or some foreign matter in the duct it can drain down and drop cold water on the pass feet from the duct that is supposed to blow air on the pass feet..........mine did.
I have had the pipe from the rad to the overflow bottle block off and the bottle showed full even when the engine seemed to run a little hotter ....I lifted the cap and the water was down....should be able to blow through the pipe....

pcp20us

Reaction score
Hi

Sorry the colant is leaking from underneath the car, it is under the passanger foot space. ! Hope thats clearer

Pete

gsmrobinson

Reaction score
Is your car a climate control vehicle?????

Either way, as for the hot pipes, check that the heater tap ( under the bonnet on the drivers side next to the strut tower) turns off and on when you turn the heater knob round off of the coldest setting. If not check that the vacuum switch ( a little black or white thing with two small vacuum hoses near the two hot pipes) is being switched on by the striker. It can be adjusted slightly. If it is striking correctly check that the vacuum is being allowed on and off threw the switch. I made a full reply somewhere here the other day... can't rememeber who too....sorry.

As for the dripping water...is it clear or green? Is the radiator coolant green? If the coolant is green and the water dripping is clear then it will be the water from the a/c unit....this is normal and I'd start looking for another leak if the car is using water. On the vn's they had two drain tubes. The idea was for the water to drip onto the exhaust system and evaporat from there but when the humidity is high or the car is off and the drain tube is slightly blocked they do drain on the passengers side of the car this is normal on any car that has a good a/c system.

Hope this helps a bit .

Regards GUY.

gsmrobinson

Reaction score
Sorry forgot about the first bit...... Check in teh how too section... I wrote a part there on how to replace the fan speed resistor. This is the same on the vn to the vs so go and check it out. Have a look and see if there are any broken wires inside the cage. This is the normal problem when the fan does not work on 1,2 or 3. You can get one from holden for about $35. If that is not the problem then it will be the fan speed switch...but if you wiggle the switch it usually starts working again for a while. Check that befor pulling the fan speed switch.

Regards GUY.

pcp20us

Reaction score
Cheers fellas.

No it is not climate control.
Yes the radiator has coolandt. The leak is coolant. I have to investigate i think.
I shall check the how to section for the fan problem.

Can anyone send me info or point me in the direction of keepings these V6 engine tuned.

This is my first feul injected computer managed car. I dont have a regular mechanic, thus trying to discover what is needed to keep them tuned and can you do it yourself, or do you need the computer diag tools for tuning.

Happy new all
Pete

gsmrobinson

Reaction score
If the leak is coolant from the radiator the best thing to do is by-pass the heater core. It is the only thing that contains radiator coolant inside the cabin. It is a full day and a half job for someone who knows what they are doing to replace it so expect to pay around $600 plus heater core (I think $170) for someone to do it for you. SORRY.

Regards GUY

V

vrmusicman

i have a vr and my blower only worked on 1 2 3 but not 4 .i did a bit fiddling under bonnet cleaned battery terminals and wires also checked fuses and relays on drivers side near battery under a black cover .i pulled out fuses and relays cleaned the prongs and put them back making sure that they were pushed right in ,and now the blower works on all speeds .give that a go and see if that helps your problem

gsmrobinson

Reaction score
The reason yours did not work on 4 is most likely the relay near the battery under the black panel ....just for others to take note 'cause you obviously fixed yours. Fan speed 4 is wired via this relay and fan speeds 1,2, and 3 go via the fan speed resistor. This is why fan speed 4 can still work even if you loose the other three.

Just a little interesting fact for those attempting to fix a fan problem.

Regards GUY.

pcp20us

Reaction score
Well. I spent today trying to understand the wiring.
But my fan does not work on 1,2 but works on 3 and hi ?

So logically its not the relay ?

So it either the swith of the fan resistor. This looks like quite a job to do the resistor according to the how to article ?

Any ideas how to eliminate the switch on the dashboard ? B4 pulling things apart.

Cheers

Pete