Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Heater Blower Fan Motor

V

vr_berlina

Hi, I have a VR with climate control and the blower fan will not turn off! Even if I remove the climate control unit or blower relay. Removing the fusable link was the only thing that shut it off..

I read guy's post about high speed going directly through the relay which appears to be what's happening, it's going flat out, only difference it still goes flat out when the relay is pulled.

According the the VN wiring diagram I have (closest model I could lay my hands on quickly) there is a heater blower motor switch which could possible be faulty, but I can't find the bloody thing. Any ideas where it is?

V

vr_berlina

After taking the resistor off a couple of the pins appear to be showing no resistance. It this normal or has the switching transistor gone?

gsmrobinson

Reaction score
The blower fan on a vr/s Commodore with climate control gets its power direct from the 30amp fusable link. the other side of the blower fan earths via either the Fan speed Amplifier (fan speed resistor) or when the ECCM (electronic climate control unit) tells it via the Fan relay.

When the Amplifiers main Transistor dies it usually allows the blower fan to stay on by providing a constant earth. This is why pulling the relay did not work.

Your amplifier is rat **** and in all the years I've been doing a/c I have yet to find a replacement transistor capable of holding the power load. A new unit is expensive , I think around $200 but the only place you can get one is from Holden.

Sorry , Kind regards Guy.

T

toan247

HI all,

My friend has recently experienced exactly the same problem (fan keeps blowing after ignition is off) in his VR Berlina.

The temporary solution, as many have found, is to pull the BLOWER 30A fusible link from near the battery.

The next step is to part with ~$160 (quoted by a Holden dealer) to replace a resistor or transistor (my friend got the quote and can't remember which).

I have since read on another forum -sorry guys- that someone has kinda figured out which component to replace.

To cut a long story short, there is a failed transistor that needs replacing. As soon as we find out where to source one - standard dick smith and jaycar catalogs haven't got it, neither does radioparts (Melbourne). My search on Wagner.net.au returns the part number, so if all goes to plan, I will post results.

Regards,

Toan247

51RVS

G'day, This also happened to me a couple of months back in my VS stateo, my fan wouldn’t turn off after the ignition was off, and the quickest way I could stop the fan from draining my battery was to do as some of you other guys had suggested and pull the fuse.

I have also seen posts about the problem on other sites and I found out a few things while trying to fix my car so I’ll be nice and share.

· My car runs climate so I have a fan amplifier circuit and not a resistor, and depending on how the transistor blows will depend on what symptoms you get. If it blows short circuit, then the fan will only run on high speed even when you select a lower speed, and will not shut off with the ignition – the only way to stop the fan is the pull the fuse. If it blows open circuit you will lose all of your low fan speeds and only the high speed will work (this would also be a symptom of non-climate vehicles) because the high setting runs through a relay aswell as the amplifier.

· When I told the Holden parts guy what was wrong, he said the relay must be buggered, because the amplifier can only blow open circuit….yeah right, he was referring to the resistor, so be careful of advise.

· Another thing that caused me much pain was the wiring diagrams in the service manual I have (VN V8) show the amplifier circuit with a transistor in it, it’s wrong, it is a MOSFET not a transistor.

· You wont find a replacement MOSFET by the markings on the device, it’s marked, NEC D1297, after much searching on the net and checking out suppliers, I’m pretty certain the D1297 is special marking NEC have provided for a special Holden only run of parts, you wont be able to buy it anywhere, and I don’t know what it’s real part number is and doubt that it would even be available to component suppliers.

· Climate cars use a weird control circuit that I still haven’t got my head around, but I don’t exactly know what is in the ECCU, knowing that may shed some light. Non-climate cars are pretty straight forward, either the resistor is blown or it’s not.

So I finally got around to fixing it a couple of weeks ago and it been working perfectly. If your handy with a soldering iron you can replace the MOSFET that’s in there with any number of parts, I had some smaller MOSFETs at home that are pretty robust and is so far doing the job quite well. They are smaller in size but have adequate current handling capabilities, about 75Amps, they are probably a little overkill, but it’s all I had on me - and you wont find them at dick smith and the like. If you wanted to try something out of tricky dicky, I’d go with the BUK456-60A/H (cat No. Z1820), or RS components have a heap of parts that would do the trick, maybe try MTP75N05HD (stock No. 177-2576), they are both around $10. These parts will get quite warm once they are screwed into place but they should be OK because when they a working they constantly have a fan blowing air onto their heatsink. It probably takes an hour to do if you have the right tools, but it beats donating $160 to your local Holden dealer.

Happy hankering.

Kevin

Reaction score
Members Ride
1996 Series 2 VS V6 Commodore Sedan
Kevin

To 51RVS just wandering if you can email me regarding the type of mosfet to use as tricky dicky doesnt sell it any more and I thick RS Components dont either. Jaycar sells a 30 to 40 amp one for around $8. Was wondering if you could look into Jaycar's and post what type you part you would recommend. :wave:

BillK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN SS.
Don't know much re where this is in the scheme of things (VN's mainly I know - none in them - use relay) but electronics I am familiar.... D1297 is really a 2SD1297 they drop the 2S and it is a Darlington Transistor. Darlington means it's two transistors in the one package and one drives the other and you get large amplification gain. That is little current in controls big current out.

I had a look on the Net and this mob in NZ appear to have them for around $10 NZ.

http://www.sicom.co.nz/xurl/PageID/...searchtext/626C616E6B/grpid/6863/content.html

It wouldn't be too hard to get an equivalent if you you looked hard enough probably RS as mentioned. Specs are:

2SD1297 - N DARL+Di NF/S-L 150V 25A 100W TOP3

Mmmm +Di means it must have protection diode in it as well to protect it from the brushed motor.

If it's a common problem ... NZ looks like a source but 2SD1297 is what ya after.

Cheers

DamoVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina S1
Hey, I had the same problem in my VS Berlina with the climate control as posted here. I was quoted by Holden $260 for parts and labour and thought nope I will search the web first. Found this article, thanks for the great info. Just to add a few comments. The part is not a special one just for Holden. It's an NEC 2SD1297 Darlington Transistor with Diode as mentioned earlier.

For people in Melbourne you can get these from G.B. Spares. 500 Spencer St West Melbourne for $12.
For people in Sydney see http://www.wagner.net.au/ They wanted $9 or so and could post it out to anywhere in Australia for about $8.

To get the part out of the car look under the following forum.
Just Commodores > Holden Commodore Related > Holden Commodore How-To's

And see articles:
Replacing the Fan Speed Resistor
or
Vn-vs Fan Speed Resistor Removal

Smitty

Reaction score
Members Ride
GenF SV340 R8 Tourer, VK race car, ZX12R
I had to replace mine in the (VR) Berlina at the weekend
the part VS20931 Amplifier-Fan cost me $126 + GST
and about ½ hour to fit

seems to be a common problem atm

cheers

Barrybee

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV, VR V8 Berlina
Thanks DamoVS. I went to Wagner on Tuesday and got the NEC 2SD1297 part for $12.65. A lot cheaper than the $202 I was quoted by my local Holden dealer for the replacement part!