Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Heater Blower Fan Motor

hdt3055

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS CLUBSPORT
Had the same problem in my VS, fan stayed on so I pulled the fuse, rplaced the fuse and blew it. put a new fuse in and blew it again, tried changing amplifier and blew fuse again. Took it to a sparky and they found that the blower motor burnt out when I replaced fuse. Big $$$ to fix.

smw757

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS2 Berlina 5.0L
Question??

Barrybee said:
Thanks DamoVS. I went to Wagner on Tuesday and got the NEC 2SD1297 part for $12.65. A lot cheaper than the $202 I was quoted by my local Holden dealer for the replacement part!

Where exactly is the part located that you replaced? My VS Berlina decided to switch the fan to 'always on full'...only thing to stop it is to remove the fuse. Even when the car is turned off, the fan keeps on going (full noise). (And you can't switch to other speeds) - so same symptoms as lots of others on this forum... Not sure i'd be able to do the job so any info on tips for doing it would be great...

smw757

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS2 Berlina 5.0L
smw757 said:
Where exactly is the part located that you replaced? My VS Berlina decided to switch the fan to 'always on full'...only thing to stop it is to remove the fuse. Even when the car is turned off, the fan keeps on going (full noise). (And you can't switch to other speeds) - so same symptoms as lots of others on this forum... Not sure i'd be able to do the job so any info on tips for doing it would be great...

I took the car to the shop and they fixed it - around $171 for the part plus labour...

jelwos

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Berlina/VZ Monaro
repair blower amplifier

To repair blower amplifier, remove the amplifier from underneath plenum cover. Pull off the white plastic cover. Unsolder the three MOSFET joints (to the right of the connector pins. Remove the circuit board. Unscrew the NEC D1297 MOSFET. Go to Dick Smith, buy a new MOSFET, 60N0660A60v, part z1853, $4.97. Buy a bit of model makers, brass tube, 1.6 mm (1/16). The legs on the new MOSFET arent long enough to reach the circuit board, so cut off some small lengths of the brass tube, about 10mm, slide over each leg, half way. Cut 3 pieces of some insulated wire, about 2 cm long, strip both ends, one end into the brass tube, solder by heating the brass tube and placing solder on to the wire and the solder will flow up tubing, to solder the MOSFET leg and wire together. Solder other end into the circuit board. Repeat for the other two legs of the MOSFET. Screw the new MOSFET to the heatsink with some heatsink compound. Bend the legs up at a bit of an angle, so it doesnt short out on the heatsink/circuit board. The wires will allow you to just placed the circuit board back into the heatsink. Replace white plastic cover. It will hold the circuit board in place. Screw back into vehicle. There you go, a saving of $215.

jelwos

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Berlina/VZ Monaro
Broken Circuit Board

If you cooked your circuit board when you removed the MOSFET, or broke it trying to get it out, dont dispair. You can make a new one easily, for about $20. $1if you already have etchant and a bit of single sided blank circuit board. You will need the following, all from Dick Smiths,
1. Blank circuit board, cut a piece, 35mm x 24mm.
2. Etchant (about $15, the most expensive bit!)
3. Circuit board pen ( I just use liquid paper pen/bottle)
4. 220 ohm .25w resistor (240 will do if they dont have a 220) 6 cents.
5. 1W Zener Diode 33Volts. (z3515) 40 cents
6. 0.27microfarad capacitor (an MKT 63VDC will do, R3030) 45 cents.
7. Modlers brass tubing (1.6 mm (1/16))
You will need a soldering iron, and solder. Dremel or small grinding tool with a grinding bit, small circular saw bit, 1mm drill bit (Dick Smith also sell these, pack of 10 assorted sizes for about $10). 1.6 mm drill bit Or 1/16.
Cut out a bit or board, 35mm by 24 mm.
Use grinder bit to cut notches on top and bottom edge, so board fits into heatsink. Cut notch down right side to see MOSFET legs and brass tubing. Draw circuit onto board with etch resistant pen (liquid paper) and etch board. Drill out component holes with 1mm bit or (0.8). You will also need to drill a series of holes where the 6mm wide brass connector pins go, then make the slots with file or engraving bit in the Dremel. Alongside of the connector brass pins, drill three 1/16 holes. Slide through three pieces of 5mm brass tubing. Solder in all components, brass connector pins (that connect to the vehicles plug) and the three bits of tubing. Screw in the MOSFET. Bend up the legs at and angle then the last 6mm at 90 degrees the to the MOSFET and separate them about 5 mm apart. When the circuit board is placed in the heatsink, the MOSFET legs should slide into the brass tubes and you will see from above that the legs are correctly in each of the tubes and visually from the gap on the side of the circuit board. You can solder the MOSFET legs into the tubes if you like. I didnt bother, making the MOSFET and five minute job to replace in future

Last edited:

kasem

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ex cop car
quote=· You wont find a replacement MOSFET by the markings on the device, it’s marked, NEC D1297, after much searching on the net and checking out suppliers, I’m pretty certain the D1297 is special marking NEC have provided for a special Holden only run of parts, you wont be able to buy it anywhere, and I don’t know what it’s real part number is and doubt that it would even be available to component suppliers.

g.b. tellespares 500 spencer st w. melb $12 pick up $6 p+h anyware in aus...
i know, i work there...

lilkel

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP V6 BT1,VR 5.0l statesman
i had the same thing replaced about 3 days ago with a regas it cost me $260 but it was well and trully worth it my air con kills it now!!! i love it!!

raywise

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive 3.8 & VS Berlina 3.8
Screw back into vehicle. There you go, a saving of $215.

What would we do without the internet and knowledgeable people willing to help others.?

I just repaired my VS Berlina with the no fan problem on speeds 1 and 2.
$5.00 MOSFET from Dick Smiths, and a friend who can solder properley, back in the car and it works perfectly. Bugger giving Holden $190.00 for a whole new assembly, thanks! :D

Hoo Roo

kopper69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VRII Acclaim
raywise have you had the fet in for a little while? Reason Im asking is that fets can often fail a few months down the track if some of their specs dont match the original.