Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Heater box questions

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
Loshy my friend,

I've spent a couple of hours on the Fische reader and ruined my eyes for a while. That 92041791 number is more than likely a VR unit as the VS number is a bit later...... 92052944 and then that was replaced with another number later on in production of the VS range.

So I'd be pretty confident that the unit in question will be a VR unit.

BTW there is no variation between Sedan, Wagon and Utility, they are all the same so it doesn't make any difference from what body style a complete assembly is removed from. Just for future reference there is a different number for the Berlina, Calais, Statesman and Caprice Climate Control variant.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
I recall, back in the day, when doing VR-VS dash conversions in VN-VP that the HVAC box had to be changed over as well. There was never a difference back then as to which you used. It all bolted up and pipes came out in the right spot.
I know that is a bit vague but my 2 cents worth.

Now you'd be trying to get a VN-VP back to original.

My VP ute also had all the mountings and loom plug in place from factory for a column shift set up.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Loshy my friend,

I've spent a couple of hours on the Fische reader and ruined my eyes for a while. That 92041791 number is more than likely a VR unit as the VS number is a bit later...... 92052944 and then that was replaced with another number later on in production of the VS range.

So I'd be pretty confident that the unit in question will be a VR unit.

BTW there is no variation between Sedan, Wagon and Utility, they are all the same so it doesn't make any difference from what body style a complete assembly is removed from. Just for future reference there is a different number for the Berlina, Calais, Statesman and Caprice Climate Control variant.

Thanks for the info VSL. I will grab it when I get back from leave at the end of Feb. I doubt it will go anywhere.

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Went to buy the heater box today and its definitely not VR. I am thinking it may not even be a Commodore one, unless it is very early Commodore.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I have found a box in a VP that has most of the dash out, so I am heading back to the wreckers today to try and remove it. Not having any idea exactly what attaches it to the body it could take me a while.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
The VN/VP had a different heater box. When everyone was doing VR/VS dash conversions (a tragedy), one of the things that had to be changed was the HVAC box to suit the different dash shape of VR/VS.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
The VN/VP had a different heater box. When everyone was doing VR/VS dash conversions (a tragedy), one of the things that had to be changed was the HVAC box to suit the different dash shape of VR/VS.
what exactly is different? From a visual they look the same.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I had another look at the original one I posted and yep, definitely different to mine and the part i needed would not work. However I am now thinking it might be a VS one. The bottom had two drains like a VS and the drains don't jut out like mine, they are only an angled hole about 10-15mm long.
Now this begs the question whether I may have a VP box on there, unless the ute is different to VS exec wagon at least? Other explanation is that they changed the box from VS on. I suspect they changed with the intro of the VS.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Does anyone have a pic of the underneath of a VR and a pic of a VS exec heater box?