Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Heater Bypassed for Gas

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Dodge Ram Van 1500 5.2 V8
As the title says, the heater core has been by passed to feed hot water to the gas setup on the 91 v6.

Is this normal - or have I had a bodgy job done?

vlv8vic

<---Brad Quaid = internet stalker
Reaction score
Members Ride
M5
not normal. it's more likely the heater was bypassed because it leaks or something. or they were lazy ****s who didn't want to spend the extra $5 putting the right connectors on.

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
not normal. it's more likely the heater was bypassed because it leaks or something. or they were lazy ****s who didn't want to spend the extra $5 putting the right connectors on.

Never had a gas car - so I'm new at this:p

So there is reasons for the gas setup to have hot water pumped through the gas thingo me jig. So I'm off tomorrow to find the correct fittings - at least they left the hoses in place.

Cheers.

Probably find the heater core buggered :) - but the car is Ice cold inside. :(

vlv8vic

<---Brad Quaid = internet stalker
Reaction score
Members Ride
M5
yeah because gas is compressed (to liquid hence LPG) as it turns to gas it gets cold and freezes anything it touches. it needs the warm water from the engine to stop the converter from freezing up and blocking the flow.

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Heater connected - 2 "T" connectors and 5 hose clamps. All done - we have heat :)

Morton

For external use only
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairstar the Funship
Well that was easy ^_^ And as vlv8 said, you need a heated gas system. I've driven a car without one, and it used to stall constantly in cold weather :p

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Well that was easy ^_^ And as vlv8 said, you need a heated gas system. I've driven a car without one, and it used to stall constantly in cold weather :p

Hmmm car stalled again today - the heater hose is temp at the moment and has a kink in it. I didn't want to hack it up only to find the core was leaking. So that may not have helped

It's not leaking as yet:thumbsup: So I'll trim the hoses up tomorrow and make a neat job.

rob drag racer

vn vp drag nut
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
vp 3.8 with gas new project vn s1 guted strip only
defiantly need hot water as mentioned its a converter so in order to go from liquid ti gas heat is needed you will get the hang of it occasionally they will throw ya a curb ball but its all part of lpg good luck enjoy the cheep fuel oh and be careful about what gas ya put in if its dirty it will wax up the lines and converter meaning a hole lot of work to get it clean again it will also starve because of reduced gas flow :yeah:

davway

Reaction score
Members Ride
WK LS1 Statesman
Id go back and ask them why they disconnected the heater.
After all, no heater makes your car UNROADWORTHY since you have no windscreen demister.
Failing a satisfactory answer from them, id be inclined to report them to the appropriate authority.

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Id go back and ask them why they disconnected the heater.
After all, no heater makes your car UNROADWORTHY since you have no windscreen demister.
Failing a satisfactory answer from them, id be inclined to report them to the appropriate authority.

Hmm, didn't think of that... I was very suprised to find the heater by-passed - for the sake of 2 "t's" and 6 hose clamps.

Should go find the gas conversion place and quiz them:thumbsup: