Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Heater control rod not working

VR38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E
Let me try and explain this better, the rod and the white arm under the dash are 100% perfect,
When I turn the temp knob on the dash the rod does not move with it, how do I re connect the rod with the dash knob?

jaws_one

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Exec S/W
I pulled off my selector dial thinking I needed to do this to access for stereo install - how stupid was I. Now the selector just spins freely as the spindle dropped inside and when I pulled mixer unit out slightly to reattach I couldn't get it right... I feel your pain.

drewVHSS

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
stores.ebay.com.au
Members Ride
'83 VH SS, '79 Green VB SL '92 S2 VQ Caprice
on the back of the assembly where the rod connects, check to make sure you haven't broken the swivel tab or made the large cog move past it's full travel (i.e. teeth on both cog's no longer mating)
I have a box of 50 of these i sell on ebay.
Let me know if you've broken the mountings and i'll send you one for postage price only.

VR38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E
Well I finally got around to fixing this, after removing the unit I could see that the small gear had pulled away from the large one, pushed it back into place and it is working fine.

On another note, now I only get air at my feet, maybe I have installed the vac hose block wrong?

VR38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E
Vac hose block incorrectly installed onto unit.

All working well now.

aussie4life

Keep It Simple Stupid
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE International 3.0L
basically whaat you need to do is turn your temp knob to full hot, then using your right hand push the white arm to the back of the car. once you feel it stop, then turn the knob to cold. this will re-engage the gear at the back of the selector. i believe this is what you are talking about with the arm not moving at all even when you move the temp knob. i had the same thing happen to me when i played around with my stereo. harder way is to unclip the rod from the arm and remove the whole control box. then you will see the 4 cogs and see what i mean about turning to hot. hope this helps