Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

heater core leak, replace or disconnect?

Tonner Matt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 1 Tonner LS1 M6
Does it get cold enough in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia to actually require the use of a car heater.
If the heater isn't needed I would just remove the heater hoses from the engine, then refit a hose on the engine so coolant can still circulate through the inlet & outlet ports that used to connect to the heater core ports at the firewall.
Or alternatively you can just block them off with blank off caps/plugs.

mohamedelkady

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore VZ
Does it get cold enough in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia to actually require the use of a car heater.
If the heater isn't needed I would just remove the heater hoses from the engine, then refit a hose on the engine so coolant can still circulate through the inlet & outlet ports that used to connect to the heater core ports at the firewall.
Or alternatively you can just block them off with blank off caps/plugs.
Thanx for your reply, heater is not needed here, there are some winter days temperatures reach below 5 deg but I never use it, and the AC in summer nights gets too cold but I manually turn off the AC button.
will there any problem to engine temperature or AC compressor after disconnecting it?

caaf

Reaction score
Website
www.aurfscan.com.au
Members Ride
VYII Equipe S/wagon V6
Bypassing the heater core will have no affect on engine. It's a convenience item. The heater tap creates a loop back when no heat required. You'll simply bypass all of that ;)

mohamedelkady

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore VZ
Now I am considering disconnecting the heater-core like in this image, right?
alloytec-hose-2.jpg

the question is, what is that valve -marked in yellow- do? Is that water is circulated all time throw the heater or when I turn on heating. I have noticed that leaked does not happen all time. I think that this valve may control the water circulation throw the heater-core. So the question is If I manage to disconnect this valve so it always stays Off so no water is circulated in the heater? then there are no need to cut the hoses and reconnect like in the image above. another question if Yes, how to disconnect it as I cannot find any electrical wiring to it, just small vacuum hose?
alloytec-hose-1.jpg

Thanks all.

mohamedelkady

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore VZ
Bypassing the heater core will have no affect on engine. It's a convenience item. The heater tap creates a loop back when no heat required. You'll simply bypass all of that ;)

upload_2017-8-11_1-56-58.png

WHAT IF I DISABLE THE HEATER TAP SO THE LOOP IS ALWAYS BACK TO ENGINE :D :D? i'm asking seriously BTW.

Tonner Matt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 1 Tonner LS1 M6
Now I am considering disconnecting the heater-core like in this image, right?
View attachment 194174

Set it up like the green hose you have drawn in the above picture and everything will be fine. Coolant will still circulate without any issue.

The item circled in yellow is the heater tap or it is sometimes called the heater valve.
Basically what it does is:
# In the open position (Heater on) it lets warm coolant flow into the heater core behind the dash to warm up the interior of the car.
# In the closed position (Heater off) it stops warm coolant from flowing into the heater core.

mohamedelkady

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore VZ
Hi guys, thank you all for
cd9db99c-1fb7-4d89-95c8-471b3f900ba8you
your replies, I just came from a nearby workshop and fixed the problem like this chart:
upload_2017-8-12_11-21-57.png

He made a bridge throw the heater valve/tap (easier job for him), it was a 10-minute job. and I will look for any drawback in the next days.