Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

heater core on VS

AnthsVSLexcen

Reaction score
Hey guys,
lately my car has been leaking coolant directly under the heater unit (outside) and also leaking some on the carper (drivers side). I have suspected a heater core leak and im looking at taking out the dash and replacing it myself after getting quoted $600 labour by holden. Does any1 have any tips or tricks in changing a heater core, or any shortcuts? Are there any screws that are hard to find, any problems that peope have encountered when replacing a heater core?

What else could be causing this leak as it happens every time i drive my car but leaks heaps more coolant when the heater is full.

Thanks in advance
Anthony

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Do a search on this forum as this subject has had plenty of previous coverage. I think there is a shortcut/bodgy way of replacing the heater core.(the way I'd be going)

AnthsVSLexcen

Reaction score
hey guys,
i have taken out the entire dash, drained cooling system, taken off the 2 hoses that go onto the heater pipes, removed 2 screws from the engine bay and 4 from the inside of the car into the firewall and 2 bolts holding it to the tranny tunnel brackets (like the gregorys manual says to do) and the heater unit still wont come out. it wriggles from side to side slightly but wont come out :(

i got the air-con degassed and have removed the wiper arms and the plastic cover and have removed the nuts holding the air-con pipes from under the plasic cover so the 2 air-con pipes r hanging free.

Has anyone got any ideas on what could be holding on to it or of any screws/bolts iv missed or the gregorys manual doesnt tell you about? i really need my car back asap.
Any help would be very much appeciated.
thank you
Anthony

Last edited:

markovr

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Members Ride
07vessv 94vr .04vz wgn,93vp wgn,82 vhV6 wgn 88 vn
I don't think I would call it bodgy but I replaced mine by draining the coolant and cutting the brass pipes .It has been a few years since I did the job but I only had to take off a few things to get to it and I didn't have to touch the dash or take the heater box out or touch the air con.One aftermarket company sell the heater core with the hoses that come to a flange so you can pull the unit out without a major teardown since the hoses are the ony thing stopping the unit slidding out from inside the car.
With the heater box removal,have you removed completely the air con pipes as they have o ring seals and once you undo the nuts the pipe assembly should come off completely

skeg1967

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V8 CHASER
Hi All, I just found this site a couple of weeks ago and it is full of interesting info. My VS V8 was leaking a little amount of coolant out into the heater box and draining under the car. I brought a new heater core from Natrad for $140 and was thinking of doing the job myself by ripping out the dash board and heater box.I spoke to a couple of mechnics who advised against pulling out the whole dash board and recommended cutting the existing heater pipes to get the heater core out and was quoted around $320 for supply of the core and labour. I went away scratching my head, then i found this site which gave me the info to do it myself. First drain the coolant. The hardest part of the job was cutting the first pipe with a mini hacksaw due to total lack of room, the second pipe was alot easier. After cutting the two pipes it slid out quite easy, i placed the two cores together and projected the cut line on to the new core than cut the excess pipe off, i slid the new core into the heater box to check clearances between the pipes and everything was ok appox 1/16''. I removed the core again to clean up the cuts with a file and cut two pieces of 5/8'' heater hose appox 5'' long, I used liquid hand soap to lube up the inside of the hose and the out side of the pipes and pushed the hose onto the pipes coming out of the firewall and slid the new core with four hose clamps back into the heater box and lined up the pipes. The hose took a bit of effort to get down over the lower pipes but I finially got there and done up the four hose clamps.It was a matter of filling the radiator with water and testing it, it passed with no leaks, just have to put the console back together. The whole job took 3 hours and 3 beers and save me $180 in labour which i can spend on beer.I hope this post wiil help other with the same problem and no special tools needed. Regards Skeg1967.

skeg1967

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V8 CHASER
Heater Core Photos

Here's some photos of the job!

Attachments

• 100_4039.JPG
    100_4039.JPG
    78.8 KB · Views: 17,501
  • 100_4043.JPG
    100_4043.JPG
    73.4 KB · Views: 10,220
  • 100_4045.JPG
    100_4045.JPG
    71.5 KB · Views: 10,017

SUS 230

Piddy
Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Berlina
what it the address of the site?

AnthsVSLexcen

Reaction score
thanks for your help guys, i ripped out the whole dash and put it all back in. but next time i do a heater im gonna take the short cut :) would make it so much easier.

aa23

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim
To skeg1967, I don't need to replace my heater core yet, but thank you very much for putting those photos up. Looks like it will be much easier that way, if I ever need to do it.
Very much appreciated. :hit:

skeg1967

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V8 CHASER
A Couple More Photos!

Attachments

• 100_4041.JPG
    100_4041.JPG
    65.7 KB · Views: 6,136
  • 100_4044.JPG
    100_4044.JPG