Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

heater core

Simonn

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx S pack m5
gday, well to start off I got my vx s pack a few weeks ago, car was losing coolant and there was a oily feel in the radiator. So got the manifold gasket replaced, changed water pump, thermostat and also got a new radiator cap. Now the car still bloody seems to be losing coolant. There are no obvious leaks in the engine bay and it does not leak coolant onto the ground. Today only my windscreen was fogging up so im thinking maybe now its the heater core. Any ways to check to see if its leaking without spending 12 hours taking the dash apart? Tried my best to feel around under it with all the plastics on and I could no feel any dampness. This car is driving me nuts with it losing coolant
any help would greatly be appreciated

Last edited:

dazza33

Reaction score
Members Ride
98 VT Wagon
Take it to a radiator/air conditioning place, they have a sniffer thing that they can stick down in the air ducts. Detects the damp air or something like that. Had it done to mine and they pretty much confirmed my suspicions, as i expected a weeping core. The fogging windscreen is pretty much a dead giveaway as well, although in Melbourne the last few days i have been getting foggy windows as well!

BTW, i had mine done at Kmart auto $600. Had quotes up to $1250, it's a big job to do it yourself.
While you got the dash out and the aircon de-gassed might be a good idea to do the evaporator up under the dash as well. Food for thought.

Cheers, Darren.