Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Heater core

aasr

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VS S PACK UTE 97
hey guys my heater core it leaking so ive got a new one to replace it i was just wonting to know to fit the new one how much of the dash has to come out or if there is any tricks to make this job easier on myself ?
Cheers Aaron

mrv8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive V8 S speed
Its an absolute mission, and if you have air it needs to be degassed and regassed, or else what I have done in the past is cut the pipes by the drivers foot well, remove it, cit the new one to match and some rubber hoses and hose clamps to join it all back up. By far the easier option, I recently replaced mine in my VS, but I didnt have A/C, and needed to do a few other things under the dash, so pulled the lot out, and added A/C lol. Hope this helps a bit.

db_notso

diagnostic technician...
Reaction score
Members Ride
vt v6, mods(susp brakesetc...)
if you were just looking for cost effectiveness and not a roadworthy issue just join the two heater pipes that go to the firewall together skipping the heater the turn the heater too cold and it will be fine until you have the cash to get it done.... and its a mission some say they have "modified" or bent the heater and swapped them around without removing dash but its unlikely you will do this without damaging the heater core fins or cracking it meaning start again....

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6

SWE11L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina/ KJ Verada/ 88 Trans Am
Hey bud, I did the shortcut way recently and it is alot easier. My advice is: if you use a grinder to cut out your old core, get a mate to hold a vacuum near the cutting point, otherwise it will look like you've sprinkled glitter in your car and try to cut exactly like you see it the pics, a little bit past the bends and do the clamps up really, really tight. Mine was dripping for a while after I first did it. Might not hurt to smear a bit of gasket sealant over the pipes before sliding the hoses on, don't know if it would do anything but if I did one again I'd prob do that, may help seal it better?