Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

heater core

commodore pride

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr executive
so iv had a look around searching an its help abit but still unsure why my heater dosnt really heat up, iv checked the heater core an i think it could have a small leak in it the carpet is a tiny bit wet but would this stop my heater from blowing hot air, gets annoying on cold days. also doesnt pass a roady unless heater heats up because of the demisters.:lock:

deadstato

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs executive wagon
a leak wont stop it heating up mine was leaking and worked fine maybe its blocked
the nob where u turn it to hot and cold make sure its connected i had a mate thats heat didnt work i looked and it was just that.
and as long as your demister blows air it should pass but dont hold me to that coz every mechanic is different.

VR38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E
Why does the demister have to heat for road worthy????

It only has to blow air, FFS climate control cars automatically switch the a/c onto the demist when the button is selected, there is no option to switch the a/c off with windscreen demist in these models.

FWIW cool air will demist faster than warm air will, it is warm air condensing on a cool windscreen that causes it to fog up in the first instance...

zersys

Bolt Snapper
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina Series II/BMW '02 E39 530i
You can do a bodgy fix with some bars leak. Will probably block the hole in the heater core and get you out of **** for a while and might get your heater working too. But it's dirty stuff and will stain your entire cooling system and it will be difficult to remove the unmistakable residue it leaves behind in your cooling system, and will be obvious to a buyer who knows a few basics about cars (if you ever think about selling).

The only other thing is that your heater tap might be stuffed, because unless you've got a massive leak the core should still get hot enough to heat the cabin.

The other worry you have is the air that's been sucked into the cooling system due to the hole in the heater core. I'd bleed the system asap if I were you.

IBLOWN

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V6 TT/'13 VF Senator/'11 WM CapriceV/Hayabusa
Having a leak in the core doesnt mean the heater wont work. Just mneans youre going to lose coolant.

If your heater isnt working then your heater tap isnt working. Check the vacuum lines going into the tap and also check the control dial is working. It all works off vacuum.

If all checks out, then you need to replace the tap.

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Either the heater tap is not opening and letting hot coolant through to the core, or the heater core itself is blocked, which is a very common problem with vehicles when the interior heater does not get used very often. The core builds up with sediment etc when not in use, and this sediment turns to mud and then starts to corrode the core until it leaks. Ive seen these heater cores absolutely full of mud, even though coolant was used in the cooling system, you can hose it out with a garden hose by disconnecting the supply and return heater hoses under the bonnet and sticking the hose up in them, but doing this will sometimes start them leaking heaps if theyre already badly corroded, the sludge usually blocks up any existing holes.
Its best to use the heater on full hot once every couple of weeks, just like you would do with A/C during the wintertime to keep it in working order, using the heater does the same thing, will keep fresh coolant flowing through the core, and this helps stop the buildup of crap and keeps fresh coolant flowing through it, which will help stop it from corroding as coolant contains corrosion inhibitors..
Also make sure the engine is getting up to its proper operating temperature, because if the engine has a cooler than factory fitted thermostat, or if someone has removed the thermostat altogether, then the engine will run dead cold and the interior heater will be dead cold too.

Last edited: