Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Heater Fan Switch

VKStevo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
The fan switch on my heater doesnt seem 2 work very well, it will go at speed 1 fine, but when u change it to another speed it wont work unless u wriggle it heaps, its got heaps worse lately, sometimes i give up on trying 2 get it 2 work and after about 10 mins of driving it will start working without touching anything, does anyone else have this problem and how can it be fixed, will i need a whole new control panel thingy?

9C1pack

Reaction score
Is it a VB with air conditioning? They have 2 slides on the left of the radio and a rotary dial with defrost etc, on the lower right of the radio. If so, the circuit boards get hot and warp/burn so that it does not make contact in certain spots. Thats why it works in some spots but not others. I think I paid about $50 or $60 appprox 10 years ago and its started to play up again. I just find a spot that works and leave the slide in that position and just turn the heat on or off with the rotary dial.

VKStevo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
its a vk, sound a bit different to what you are talking about, but it could be a similar problem, the fan is on a sliding mechanism, not a rotary 1, im wondering wether ill have 2 buy the whole heater setup and replace it

if any1 else has any ideas, please post them up

9C1pack

Reaction score
I meant that the slides on the left on my VB are
1 for fan speed
1 for hot or cool air
The rotary dial has the settings for AC, fresh air, demist etc
sorry about the confusion.
On the VB there is a trim that goes around the radio and slides etc, it just pulls off and then you will see the screws that hold the fan control slider.
Not sure if the VK is the same.

VKStevo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
did u have 2 replace the whole thing or just the fan control?

85berlina

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK berlina sedan 202
I had a similar problem. From memory, except for top speed, the load of the fan is dumped across the switch. This can burn the contacts out after 20 years or so. I had to replace mine but I installed relays for each speed to fix this problem.

9C1pack

Reaction score
On the VB, you only have to replace the fan control. Easy job.

308vkcalais

DIO..
Reaction score
Adelaide(City of Godbothers)Churches S.A.
Members Ride
308 VK Calais, VK EFI Berlina, V6 VN & Kenworth...
Wonky Heater Fans

VKStevo said:
The fan switch on my heater doesnt seem 2 work very well, it will go at speed 1 fine, but when u change it to another speed it wont work unless u wriggle it heaps, its got heaps worse lately, sometimes i give up on trying 2 get it 2 work and after about 10 mins of driving it will start working without touching anything, does anyone else have this problem and how can it be fixed, will i need a whole new control panel thingy?
lol, I've been thru 2 of the stupid things:bang: .Her Berlina & my Calais both had faulty switches when we 1st got them.I went to the wreckers & was subsequently ripped off at the ridiculous prices but reluctantly repaced both the slide conrols:ranting: .The Berlina Fan Control was real stuffed like yours & would only work when it felt like it or a bump in the road would set if off running on its' own.Now, after buying two switches seperately on different occassions I managed to get two complete spare Dash's with two good heater controls in them.I have 2 200 litre open topped Fruit Drums full of VK parts.I call them my time capsules, I'll sell the bits 1 day....:yeah:

VKStevo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
9C1pack said:
On the VB, you only have to replace the fan control. Easy job.
cool and how much do these cost?

VKStevo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
308vkcalais said:
lol, I've been thru 2 of the stupid things:bang: .Her Berlina & my Calais both had faulty switches when we 1st got them.I went to the wreckers & was subsequently ripped off at the ridiculous prices but reluctantly repaced both the slide conrols:ranting: .The Berlina Fan Control was real stuffed like yours & would only work when it felt like it or a bump in the road would set if off running on its' own.Now, after buying two switches seperately on different occassions I managed to get two complete spare Dash's with two good heater controls in them.I have 2 200 litre open topped Fruit Drums full of VK parts.I call them my time capsules, I'll sell the bits 1 day....:yeah:
far out, that sucks, i hope it wont be hard 2 fix mine