Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

heater inlet o ring

grey_hawk

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR V6 Ute, VS V6 snotbox
G'day all, just did a search on this and found a thread but didn't want to dig.
I recently bought an o ring for the heater inlet pipe which is (allegedly) an original equipment one.

When I fitted it to the inlet pipe it sits in the groove to the extent that it is smaller in diameter than the external surface of the pipe.
Thinking I'd been sold the wrong size I ordered a pair (outlet and inlet) from another supplier.

These turned up today and the inlet o ring is the same size as the first one I bought.
These are the orange o rings, are they supposed to swell and seal to the pipe?
As it looks if I fit them with no other sealant coolant will just fall out...

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
VR or VS? VR are different to VS and are NLA in gen. All you can do for VR V6 is take the pipe to a bearing/seal supplies and get something that will work. VR seals can not be bought through any auto store like Burson or Repco as they don't fit.

Grimes

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Series II Ute
Like Losh said. If it’s the right size, it will need a thin smear of rubber grease and a firm push to drive it home. It sounds like yours is too small.

grey_hawk

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR V6 Ute, VS V6 snotbox
It's for the VR.
I will end up taking it to CBC or somewhere, I had a look up at upullit and the pipes seem to be the same but I didn't actually measure them.
I expected half a dozen replies telling me to stuff it full of RTV.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
With the correct oring you won't need RTV.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Are we talking about the pipe that bolts under steering pump and goes horizontal or the bypass adapter? I think you mean the steel pipe? If yes then yep CBC will be your best shot. Grab two or three different sizes. That's what I did to make sure I had a snug fit.
Assuming it is the steel pipe. I find it bizzare that the part listed in stores is actually the wrong one. I took mine back and told Bursons.
PITA when you have to go back because whoever measured the pipe before these orings were packaged obviously had no idea. Also annoying that a 50c oring means your stuck.

Last edited:

grey_hawk

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR V6 Ute, VS V6 snotbox
Cheers guys, yes it is the steel pipe under power steering pump.
SIL have a store out at Wingfield so I'll try there when I'm out that way and buy a couple.