Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Heater tap leaking (Genuine GM, brand new)

GEP

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY V6 BERLINA SEDAN
As the title description says. I brought a new genuine GM heater tap from Holden, cost me abit over $50. Reading on these forums people insisted on buying GM. First thing I noticed is that the new one is entirely plastic, apart from the 2 screws and the metal pin that actuates the valve inside the heater tap.

After installing it a week ago i have noiticed that coolant is leaking from the hole where the pin for the valve slides into. Its not much coolant, and it omly leaks whenever you actuate the valve by pushing the level up...but it shouldnt be leaking at all right? This isnt some weephole or something?

I spoke to them and they said 2 months ago these new designs came in. Now I dont want to buy another GM tap, does anyone have any suggestions of a good brand...I see Repco has one that looks good. Just an FYI my old heater tap never broke nor leaked, but whats interesting is that there is rust on the old heater tap exactly where the new heater tap is leaking. But I never noticed coolant under the old heater tap when it was installed, but I dont think I ever checked either as I had no reason too.

GEP

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY V6 BERLINA SEDAN
LNTFjxM

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
Too much glycol can cause leaks but you would expect to see leaks in other areas if that were the case.

If it is easy to take it back, do so, and if they don't have another one, get a Repco one.

I have never had a problem with 3 Repco taps on different cars.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
You could add the Holden pellets which may be enough to seal that, or just drive in to the dealer and show them. Some dealers are cool and will come have a look. Such a small leak might seal itself and disappear or slowly get worse it's a 50/50...

GEP

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY V6 BERLINA SEDAN
Too much glycol can cause leaks but you would expect to see leaks in other areas if that were the case.

If it is easy to take it back, do so, and if they don't have another one, get a Repco one.

I have never had a problem with 3 Repco taps on different cars.

Thats interesting you mention the glycol. Does my coolant look too green, meaning there's not enough water to dilute it. When I filled the car is measured it 50/50.

But when I installed you new heater tap a day after I gad the car towed to the mechanic for a seperate issue. So because the car was drained of coolant I told them just to top it up with the coolant I provided. I wonder if they just added the straight coolant and dilute it...

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
Thats interesting you mention the glycol. Does my coolant look too green, meaning there's not enough water to dilute it. When I filled the car is measured it 50/50.

But when I installed you new heater tap a day after I gad the car towed to the mechanic for a seperate issue. So because the car was drained of coolant I told them just to top it up with the coolant I provided. I wonder if they just added the straight coolant and dilute it...

I would be asking them the question but whether you get an honest answer or not ???????
If it has too much coolant it will would leak out hoses/ head gaskets etc

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
There's a way to test the % glycol isn't there? I think you can use a hydrometer like testing home brew.

GEP

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY V6 BERLINA SEDAN
I would be asking them the question but whether you get an honest answer or not ???????
If it has too much coolant it will would leak out hoses/ head gaskets etc

Oh okay. Its all brand new coolant hoses. Only had one leak the other day but just tightened the clamp. I wonder if I just drain some coolant and only add water, just water it down abit. It does look very green. Its the Nulon 7yr stuff. What I might do is add equal parts concentrate and water too a cup to see how green it is.

GEP

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY V6 BERLINA SEDAN
I recall when I changed the coolant over a year ago i flushed the system until it was just clear water. Then I added something like 4ltrs distilled and 3-4Ltrs of coolant, plus the water that was already in the engine block from the flushing.