Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Heater tap.

VYMAD

SILVERFOX
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY EXECUTIVE S2
Hey if coolant is leaking where the heater hoses go into the black poly plastic assembly at the heater tap, then does my son need to replace that entire assembly including the metal heater tap? Need to know asap, cheers.

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
The plastic pipes that the hoses join, go brittle and crack or break off..Complete replacement taps are around $50 from holden.Thats for a VS model though.

VYMAD

SILVERFOX
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY EXECUTIVE S2
Thank you, Holden close soon, but Repco have one for same price, looks like it's heater tap replacement time.

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Mine broke just from touching it,it was so brittle.So when I replaced it,I moulded a thick layer of reflective foil tape around the new tap.The tap sits pretty close to the exhaust manifold,and if you have extractors fitted,they sit even closer to it,and I think this is why the taps end up being so brittle.I doubt the coolant would be hot enough to cause this by itself..I guess time will tell if the reflective foil makes any difference or not..

edals

Reaction score
Members Ride
-
Mine broke just from touching it.

THats why every service i check both cars and wiggle the hoses and see if they snap off, had it happen once before, so at least i could replace it before going on a trip somewhere.

pablo

Donating member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Was a 1997 vt v6 wagon
Thats a good idea Brett, insulate the tap from the radiant manifold heat, must do it to my tap!

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Yeah,most of the time you will find you pay more for genuine parts.Ive had, and have seen, too many problems with cheaper aftermarket parts,so I just stick with genuine parts instead.Paying the extra is worth it to me if it saves me from a breakdown, or having a part fail at an inconvenient time,which I havent had happen yet,unlike other people I know who have had breakdowns etc caused from "so called" cheaper parts.They arent cheaper in the long run if they dont last long compared to a genuine part.Or if you have to pay for towing etc,but most people dont look at it like that,they just see a cheaper part and go for it not thinking about the long term.Crank angle sensors are a good example.I know people who have fitted 3 cheapie crank angle sensors to my one genuine one.I pay $120 for genuine,they pay $50 for aftermarket,Ive used 1 to their 3,Thats $150, versus my $120.Thats not including fitting either, if you cant do it yourself.

edals

Reaction score
Members Ride
-
+ 1 on the genuine parts I always use them, i used genuine gaskets cause hey they lasted 200k why change??

PRAVX II S

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore
You can bypass the heater hose to the block.
The only thing is that you wont have heater.
This happen to me when i went for a drive and notice bit of coolant leaking it was the heater tap.
I just bypassed it until i had time to change it