Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Heater Tap

vl1234

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Commodore Executive
Has anyone had to replace their heater tap recently? I was looking for a how-to-guide for a VR commodore...

WiLo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS exec
not on a VR but a VS and its easy, i did it without drainging the coolant though which would make it a bit less messier.

not sure what the heater tap is like on a VR but if its the same as a VS just undo the four clamps, then take the hoses off and lift the heads of them up so coolant doesnt go everywhere, then put hoses back on do up clamps, top up coolant, then park on a decent incline, have the engine warm then turn the heater onto the hottest setting and get any air bubbles out

vl1234

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Commodore Executive
WiLo said:
not on a VR but a VS and its easy, i did it without drainging the coolant though which would make it a bit less messier.

not sure what the heater tap is like on a VR but if its the same as a VS just undo the four clamps, then take the hoses off and lift the heads of them up so coolant doesnt go everywhere, then put hoses back on do up clamps, top up coolant, then park on a decent incline, have the engine warm then turn the heater onto the hottest setting and get any air bubbles out

Sweet thanks for that, I'm also looking to flush the system as well...waters looking a bit rusty/brown/dirty...any suggestions there?

WiLo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS exec
i know there is a guide on flushing the system either on here or SC or both, but quick run down, take bottom radiator hose of and watch your old coolant drain, might be an idea to have a bucket underneath the car so coolant doesnt go everywhere, i think its illegal to letit run down the drain anayway. once its all drained, do the heater tap, reverse flush the radiator, put everythihng back together, fill coolant with new stuff, then park on incline to get rid of air bubbles

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
before changing the coolant, get some radiator flush and put it in the radiator, follow instructions on the bottle but it normally reads: add contents to a full radiator get engine up to temp and leave running for 15min and then perform the coolant change etc

vl1234

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Commodore Executive
ok I'm having some troubles with the the install - when the heater tap was leaking the RACV roadside assist guy bypassed the heater tap now I'm not 100% sure where the pipes should be. There is two connections leading from the fire wall, one from the back of the engine, two into the heater tap and one from water pump area at the front of the engine...now what I need to know is what connects to what? a photo of someone elses engine bay would be great or perhaps a description of what pipe leads to what? thanks in advance!!!

Last edited:

garfa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
why is the hell didnt they use cast alloy for the junction box! ahh, plastic that softens under coolant was not a good choice holden!

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
plastic cheaper man, everything for the lowest price possible:bang: