Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

heater woes - vc

JoshSvc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Sedan - The Beige Bandit!
When i bought my VC the heater was disconnected. Today i pulled the heater assembly out from underneath the dash and found that the door that opens to let the heat from the heater core into the car was badly rusted. Also the heater core has some water marks on it where i am assuming it was leaking from.

However i filled it with cold and hot water and then blew compressed air into one hole and blocked the other but could not get it to leak at all. Is there any other way to check it? Would also be interested if anyone had the under dash section of the heater assembly that they want to get rid of?

Cheers

Josh

vkberlina

VK Madman
Reaction score
Website
www.members.westnet.com.au
Members Ride
VK EFI 5L, VK 134 Pack, LX8 Adventra, MF35 & MF50b
It would probably only leak under pressure quite common on commodores. buy a new heater core, Bursons would probably be the cheapest & fit it.
Otherwise the only way to test it is to connect it up and try it, you will find the leak to only be a small weap when under pressure so hard to spot

cheers
Scott

JoshSvc

Reaction score
Members Ride
Thats what i was trying to do with the compressed air to put pressure into the core to pin point a leak. I would of thought that the compressed air pressure would be higher than a cars coolant pressure.

JoshSvc

Reaction score
Members Ride
found the leak. the join between the core and one of the tanks is split. Priced up a new core... Will have to wait a while!

kdr2000

Reaction score
take it to a radiator repairer and get it recored for about $100

vl brock

Reaction score
Members Ride
vl brock
Vc heater box

When i bought my VC the heater was disconnected. Today i pulled the heater assembly out from underneath the dash and found that the door that opens to let the heat from the heater core into the car was badly rusted. Also the heater core has some water marks on it where i am assuming it was leaking from.

However i filled it with cold and hot water and then blew compressed air into one hole and blocked the other but could not get it to leak at all. Is there any other way to check it? Would also be interested if anyone had the under dash section of the heater assembly that they want to get rid of?

Cheers

Josh
i

JOSH i pulled the dash out of my vc so I could replace the radiator in the heater box. I see you have pulled out heater assembly beneath the dash Where are the bolts located on the heater box to remove? I`ve looked everywhere to find the bolts that keeps it in. Help much appreciated. If anyone else is reading this thread could you please help. Cheers Alan

JoshSvc

Reaction score
Members Ride
To remove the heater box from memory you have to undo the nuts from inside the engine bay you should see them poking through the fire wall, this is from memory as i havent had my vc for a while now.

magnetvh

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/E 381pack
i

JOSH i pulled the dash out of my vc so I could replace the radiator in the heater box. I see you have pulled out heater assembly beneath the dash Where are the bolts located on the heater box to remove? I`ve looked everywhere to find the bolts that keeps it in. Help much appreciated. If anyone else is reading this thread could you please help. Cheers Alan

u dont need to take the whole aircon box and blower out. The heater box which houses your heater core is seperate. It joins on to the blower box buy 4 steel clips rite up underneith. 2 on each side. u can get to them with a long screwdriver. there is also 1 screw in the middle of the two vent tubes on top of the heater box which go up to the windscreen. undo all of these and pull down and out. oh make sure u undo the heater hoses in the engine bay. wait for the cooling system to b cold, or you`l get burnt.