Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Heating won't work...neither will the rear demisters

budgieVH

get in shut up nd hang on
Reaction score
Members Ride
Injected 5ltr VH SL/E-VH Blue 202-GQ Nissan Patrol
See thats weird mate i only have one dimmister switch in myne as the heater doesnt need it has its on built in thats why hwen its cold and your window starts foggin up you turn the heater on and move the leaver to window and it defogs its gr8 lol, also if you really wont to see if you air con is working get all of your mates chuck them in your car on a cold night get them to breath a lot until your windows are all foggy and the start you car crank the air con on ans watch all of the fog just disaper lol

air con dont even turn on now haha.. so many problems with car since i replaced thermostat gasket annoying much...

Vh driver

Holden Australian Pride
Reaction score
Members Ride
vh sl/x
air con dont even turn on now haha.. so many problems with car since i replaced thermostat gasket annoying much...

What state you live in mate i could probly pop in and give ya a hand sorting out some of the issues

budgieVH

get in shut up nd hang on
Reaction score
Members Ride
Injected 5ltr VH SL/E-VH Blue 202-GQ Nissan Patrol
What state you live in mate i could probly pop in and give ya a hand sorting out some of the issues

i think the air con dont work because i removed the fuse to check it and maybe when i put it back it has not connected properly and besides the air con isnt cold i think it needs to be re gased or something.. i live in victoria how about your self?

graemevb

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
vb
Hi guys, hoping I can get some help here. I have a '84 VH SLE (6 model)

The heater in my car won't work, but I also notice when my car is running, my temp is quite low. regular cars run at about half, but mine barely gets over the first notch in the gauge.

If I change my thermostat, will my heater then work?

Also, the stalks in my heater/fan controls won't go all the way up....how hard would it be to change to the VK controls?

Also, any ideas on how to get my rear demister to work fully? I notice when I switch it on, it heats up only the bottom wire in my rear windscreen. so they are working, but not heating them all....any ideas? It's not necessary for the connectors to physically be touching the orange part of the windscreen, is it?

Any help on either or all these issues would be great.

Thanks in advance!

Feel the temp of the top heater hose, if it is mild to the touch, that's why the heater will be cold. Your car running on low on the temp scale is pointing to the cause as being the thermostat, not working, first step would be to fix that first and that may be you problem, if not, then go from there. You wont be able to interpret any other problems until you fix that, it could be very clagged heater core.
You have a/c? from memory only the a/c versions have the he vac operated heater tap. It is is unlikely to be your problem , they only require vac to turn them off, no vac and the tap will be open, though they can get stuck in either position.

From what you report, the demister has breaks in the element wires, carefull inspection should find these visually. If not you can get a voltmeter and push the probe heavily into the element and test the voltage between the element and ground. The elements that are not working will either measure 12 V or 0V, find the position where the voltage changes from one to the other and you have your break. The working elements will show a steady decrease in voltage as you go from right to left across the window.
You can buy a fluid that you paste on, its like nail polish and it will restore the gap.

Vh driver

Holden Australian Pride
Reaction score
Members Ride
vh sl/x
i think the air con dont work because i removed the fuse to check it and maybe when i put it back it has not connected properly and besides the air con isnt cold i think it needs to be re gased or something.. i live in victoria how about your self?

Bugger i in adelaide lol that sucks hard, um have you got a repair manual

emmtee83

Reaction score
Members Ride
'84 VH SLE
hey guys, just while we're on the subject, what is the switch that has a whole white circle on it? what does it do?

also, my VH has been retro fitted, but doesn't seem to have an air con switch....any idea where else this would be?

thanks

Vh driver

Holden Australian Pride
Reaction score
Members Ride
vh sl/x
hey guys, just while we're on the subject, what is the switch that has a whole white circle on it? what does it do?

also, my VH has been retro fitted, but doesn't seem to have an air con switch....any idea where else this would be?

thanks

No idea mate i dont have that wsitch either a um what happends whe you flick it
and with your air con yuo may want to lookinto that becuse it could be on all the tyme and that would chew juice and engine power lol also the switch is normaly one that has normal ritten on it and rec to use the air con you switch it to normal to set it to recycle and use the aircon sparingly you switch it to that if you dont wont it used at all just have the heater or out side ait you switch it to the middle thats what myne does

holdenmanv6vrv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
vp v8 bt1 5 speed
dont take a rocket scientist look at the top of your switches on my old vb one was red one was blue and the other had a fan now everybody enjoy your cooling and heating and dont forget to backwash heater box