Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Heating won't work...neither will the rear demisters

emmtee83

Reaction score
Members Ride
'84 VH SLE
Hi guys, hoping I can get some help here. I have a '84 VH SLE (6 model)

The heater in my car won't work, but I also notice when my car is running, my temp is quite low. regular cars run at about half, but mine barely gets over the first notch in the gauge.

If I change my thermostat, will my heater then work?

Also, the stalks in my heater/fan controls won't go all the way up....how hard would it be to change to the VK controls?

Also, any ideas on how to get my rear demister to work fully? I notice when I switch it on, it heats up only the bottom wire in my rear windscreen. so they are working, but not heating them all....any ideas? It's not necessary for the connectors to physically be touching the orange part of the windscreen, is it?

Any help on either or all these issues would be great.

Thanks in advance!

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
i dont know about VH, but VK has a vacuum operated heater switch. if the switch assembly isnt moving to the right spot, it doesnt suck the switch on and the fan wont start. playing around with the vent position switch will turn mine on and it will run fine until i go over a few bumps, then it will switch off and i will have to play around with it again. check that all your vac hoses are connected and one hasnt fallen off. if there is one off it will also cause a vacuum leak and will make the car harder to tune. i think there are 8 hoses from memory. you will have to take off your radio cover panel, then the top of the heater switch console is a single phillips head screw, undo that then pull the top backwards and down. yes, its a bitch. but worth it if that is whats wrong.

also, my temp never goes over 1/4. when it does i worry.

finally, the rear demister will have a split in the copper somewhere. you can buy a conductive pen from burson or jaycar and you just draw a small line between the breakages which will fix it. if the entire demister is corroded and broken then i dont know of any quick fixes. just try and reconnect all the bits that are naffed, but remember that the sections you use with the pen wont demist as they are the wrong resistance. might be looking at a replacement rear window if that doesnt work.

Vh driver

Holden Australian Pride
Reaction score
Members Ride
vh sl/x
Hay mate i have just had this same issue on my vh and the way i fixed it was to clear out the heater best way to do this is disconect the heater hoses and attach youy garden hose to it and open her up you will be amazed at the amount of crap that comes out myne had pure mud come out lol bit of a shock yes, give that a crack if it still doesnt work then try his idea^^, from memory ours arnt vacumed but have a plug on the back that tends to fall of.

PS: by the way according to the hand book our cars heater doesnt come out of the face vents only the floor and and window vents but man does it work well lol was swetting on the way to work today and with that the heater has a dimister built in so the window doesnt fog up that is bloody gr8 dont need the air con on when its cold witch sucked big time

PSS: oh and my cars sits just abouve cold unless its a hot day then it rises to half way but will drop down when driving so you dont have an issue there either

Hope thats helps mate have a good one
Matthew

jakbob

Lighten up.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS, VC L, VK Vacationer
I think Vh Driver is right, in my Vc the heat doesn't come out of the main vents, just the demister vents and footwell vents. Thats fine though, the foot wells are the best place for hot air, seeing as how it rises and all. I'm not really sure about the vacuum setup though.

emmtee83

Reaction score
Members Ride
'84 VH SLE
Thanks for the ideas guys.

I'll have to get a VH handbook from somewhere and give it a go....

budgieVH

get in shut up nd hang on
Reaction score
Members Ride
Injected 5ltr VH SL/E-VH Blue 202-GQ Nissan Patrol
i have problems with my demister was well.. i have to swithes for it on my VH and yeah hot air goes down to the feet as well and cold air at top.. i have air con as well but not sure if it works...

why do i have 2 window demister switches?

budgieVH

get in shut up nd hang on
Reaction score
Members Ride
Injected 5ltr VH SL/E-VH Blue 202-GQ Nissan Patrol
one for the back and one for the front?

well thats what i thought. but when i turn them both on i get no air coming threw the vents for the front window unless i move one of the controls near the heater ect.. and when i press one of them i hear a realay ticking on above the dash some where...

i just turn both of them on anyway.. rear window doesnt demist though... have to look into that

Vh driver

Holden Australian Pride
Reaction score
Members Ride
vh sl/x
well thats what i thought. but when i turn them both on i get no air coming threw the vents for the front window unless i move one of the controls near the heater ect.. and when i press one of them i hear a realay ticking on above the dash some where...

i just turn both of them on anyway.. rear window doesnt demist though... have to look into that

See thats weird mate i only have one dimmister switch in myne as the heater doesnt need it has its on built in thats why hwen its cold and your window starts foggin up you turn the heater on and move the leaver to window and it defogs its gr8 lol, also if you really wont to see if you air con is working get all of your mates chuck them in your car on a cold night get them to breath a lot until your windows are all foggy and the start you car crank the air con on ans watch all of the fog just disaper lol