Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Heatwrap pacies 4 LPG?

Skrewdriver

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Do you have to cover your pacie extractors with heatwrap or a heat shield of some kind if your ride is a dual fuel?Cos with the extractors being on both sides,would the higher temperature of the LPG burn or melt anything? (ie, intake plastics,spark leads.etc)
just wondering cos in my dual fuel EF Falcon i put a heat shield over the pacies to keep the heat from melting surrounding plastics (ie, accelerator cable,etc),but on a falcon,the pacies are only on one side.
I dont wanna go through the drama of bolting it all in just to find the engine bay full of smoke on me way to work one morning!!!
the cars a VS Com Exec Auto
thanks in advance

MR_VX

Forced to be Fast
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S pac SII Raptorcharged
heat shields would help alot but most of us dont have them with extractors and nothing has melted yet

just re-read, not sure about the dual fuel tho sorry

Skrewdriver

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
It's always good to be able to see your extractors,but if its a necesary evil to cover one or both up (maybe just the left hand side under air intake/convertor????)
ufo8mycow
What would you 100% put on?
1. Heat wrap around the extractors
2. Some kind of home made heat shield over the extractors
3.A sheild of some kind around the lpg convertor or intake tubing
4.Some other option i havent thought of?

Skrewdriver

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
you can buy heat shielding sheets from most exhaust places, it looks like aluminum mesh mixed with bubblewrap. I used to run some of this on my old ute and it stopped 90% of the heat the extractors introduced into the engine bay.

thanks for reply mate,i'll look into that.
Hmmm,maybe a stroll around the wreckers and see what sheilding other V6 cars have

Skrewdriver

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Anyone have any thoughts about a few coats of engine enamel ???

one_and_only2004

Turbo L98 FTW
Reaction score
Members Ride
Z Series Thunder Utility - Turbo
Whilst I was fitting my extractors yesterday I noticed that the front underside of the car has this heat shielding screwed to it - probably so your feet don't catch on fire or something.
I suggest you go to the wreckers (as you said) and get under a commodore and unscrew some of this stuff, and mould it around your extractors.
I don't think the engine enamel would work, my old ute had about 3 layers of that stuff on the exhaust and all it did was crack.

Skrewdriver

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Is ceramic coating worth the extra dollars?
i've noticed thru a lot of posts that people who put extractors on their cars seem to be having head problems a couple of years down the track(heat near manifold,etc)