Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Brayden Dewie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SSV Redline Ute, Manual 6.0
Hey guys, I have a Series 2 VE L98, and since about 85 000km it has had what sounds like a slight lazy tapping on the drivers bank. After talking to some half intelligent people at the time, I was pretty confident the issue was with a valve stem seal, but I didn’t have the money to investigate it and so i kept driving.

I’ve finished my education now and have a bit of coin, but my engine problem has degraded to a loss of power, Excessive burning of oil (1L per 1000km) and I’m thinking I’ve hit a serious internal snag. The car has now done 130xxx km i now have the funds to solve this permanently.

SO, wise internet people! Please suggest what you would do, do I: 1- Take my L98 in the car to a decent performance mechanic, and spend realistically $2500 or more on labour to investigate the issue, or 2- Chase down a used L98 from a wrecker, install all my auxiliary gear onto it and drop it in.

Or is there a 3rd option? Thanks in advance!!

Brayden Dewie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SSV Redline Ute, Manual 6.0
Also, just to put it out there I’m at the point where I’m thinking it’s a bent push rod. But hey I’m no brilliant mechanic.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Has the engine already been replaced?
Series 2 came fitted with L77's.

blackve76

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS ute 360rwkw N/A, 2016 VF2 SS M6
Hey guys, I have a Series 2 VE L98, and since about 85 000km it has had what sounds like a slight lazy tapping on the drivers bank. After talking to some half intelligent people at the time, I was pretty confident the issue was with a valve stem seal, but I didn’t have the money to investigate it and so i kept driving.

I’ve finished my education now and have a bit of coin, but my engine problem has degraded to a loss of power, Excessive burning of oil (1L per 1000km) and I’m thinking I’ve hit a serious internal snag. The car has now done 130xxx km i now have the funds to solve this permanently.

SO, wise internet people! Please suggest what you would do, do I: 1- Take my L98 in the car to a decent performance mechanic, and spend realistically $2500 or more on labour to investigate the issue, or 2- Chase down a used L98 from a wrecker, install all my auxiliary gear onto it and drop it in.

Or is there a 3rd option? Thanks in advance!!

as above should ba L77 engine, id think it sound like a lifter has gone being afm I would start here and work out damage.

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
Chuck a skid and see if the power comes back ? . . . . .

But seriously, I'd start disassembling at home to see what valvetrain issues you can see. Then yank the engine if it's poked, or rebuild in place if possible.

Dylan kingswood

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 s2 Ve ss
When my lifter let go it was knocking more than tapping and ended up gouging out cam so ended up motor out stripped down and cleaned everything up (quote a few shavings but the design of the sump worked and they didn't end up through the pickup

keith reed

Reaction score
Members Ride
1983 vh v8 sle 2000 vs v8 ute 2012 ve11 redline
Get your one fixed. At least you will have your problems solved. You could buy a new to you motor and then find out it's worse than what you already have. It might well be covered under warranty but would still be a hassle. If your motor was completely rooted then that would be a different story.

vr304

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ssv manual
If it’s valve train damage then good excuse to throw a decent cam in there with new lifters,valve springs,pushrods etc