Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Heavy Steering.

ICUBYE

Do I Smell Burnin Rubber?
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais 5.0Litre '96 Series 1
I just did some major addons to my car over the weekend. Sound system, brakes, wheels & exhaust. Yes it was an expensive weekend.

ok now the problem

after the brakes and wheels went on my steering is very heavy.
i had stock brake rotors front and rear and stock 15" rims as well.
I upgraded to DBA slotted front and read and Bendix Advance pad and VY SS 18" rims with 18/40/235's front and rear (Bridgestone Potenza GIII on the front & Bridgestone Potenza RE040's on the back)

also now when i turn the steering wheel it makes like a creaking sound....
is the heavy steers due to the fact of the new wheels, or could it be something else?

WHen i picked up the 18" rims i think my 15" stock alloys are heavier than the 18"s.

Any idea?

Avi8or

Luxo-barging
Reaction score
Members Ride
WM Caprice 6L
To me I would be thinking these two things:

1. Powersteering isnt working properly
2. Something is restricting the steering column from moving

ICUBYE

Reaction score
Members Ride
hmmm i will have to have a look under the car to see if anything is out of place???

The only thing i can think of is that i took the cap off the brake fluid when i put the brakes in and a little bit spilled over the edge. But i thought i got it all with a rag.

Avi8or

Luxo-barging
Reaction score
Members Ride
WM Caprice 6L
ICUBYE said:
hmmm i will have to have a look under the car to see if anything is out of place???

The only thing i can think of is that i took the cap off the brake fluid when i put the brakes in and a little bit spilled over the edge. But i thought i got it all with a rag.

However to me your saying that your steering is heavy, not you brakes. So I would believe that doing anything to your brake fluid wouldnt affect your steering ability. Just remembering, I've been warned about taking the cap off the brake fluid, because if you get anything in the tank (eg. dirt) then your brakes play up.

Jamie_87

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 BA XR6
ur steering probably feels heavier due to putting wider tyres on ur car,more rubber for the steering to turn, i noticed a bit of difference when i put my 235's on, u can feel it more on commodores with the std steering than the variatronic in calais and berlina.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
The creaking is probably that 'grommet' thing where the steering column goes thru the firewall just below the brake booster - it gets dry and creaks/groans - spray with WD40 or oil....and the heavy steering is probably due to fatter tyres having more surface contact with the road so that when you turn the wheel you have to overcome the grater resistance that the new wider wheels have.

ICUBYE

Reaction score
Members Ride
yeah i kinda figured that the heavy steering maybe due to the wider tires. but i wanted to double check, will spray the gromet with WD40 in the morning and see how she goes.

Thanks for your help :)