Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Hello, Newbie here

Jiyujin

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore
Hello all,

I'm a newbie to the forum and have just returned to Australia after being overseas for 20 years. I have no knowledge at all about Commodores and am looking for some advice.

My neighbor was kind enough to give me his old VS Commodore wagon (1997) as I don't have a car at the moment, however there are some minor problems with it and I need to fix them to register it. I don't have a workshop manual and have been searching the net for fixes to these problems.

Problem 1, the handbrake lever doesn't stay up and the button at the tip of handle is stuck in. I don't know what is causing it but found a spring about 4 inches long next to the front passenger seat.
Problem 2, the engine light stays on after running the engine for 20 minutes of so at idle, but when you accelerate it goes off. There is no unusual noise coming from the engine. From what I can see, it's an intermittent problem.
Problem 3, the key remote doesn't unlock or lock the doors.

There are other minor problems but they can be fixed easily. Any help with these issues is greatly appreciated!:)

Many thanks,
Jiyujin

Wozza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR_GS commodore
Hi welcome to the forums ;)
1 : Hand brake the rubber button/knob pulls off.... you need to put spring back (it go's over the wire rod the knob slips onto) the knob will have to be re glued back on, use some sort of strong contact adhesive
2: check the error codes prob just the O2 sensor but could be a few other issues Just Commodores - For All Your Holden Commodore Needs (how to section on how to check error codes https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/checking-error-codes-vr-vs-revised.22307 and then the error code listing for your model)
3:the battery in the fob most likely flat...need a new key head and it will need to be programed anywhere from 80$ to $150 (the how to section has a how to :) on replacing the battery if your a diy type)

Last edited:

Jiyujin

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore
Hi Wozza,

Thank you for the quick reply.
I think I can fix problem 1 with your instructions, thank you!
About problem 2, where can I find these error codes in the car? I don't have any diagnostic tools.
Oh, I see... problem 3 is a battery issue, will check out the DIY section.

Thanks again for all your help!:)

vrsprspt

Reaction score
Members Ride
Series 1 VT Senator
If you have a paper clip you have a diagnostic tool, read the thread on checking error codes, pretty sure it shows/tells you how

grnvs

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs v8 5spd 9c1
For problem 1: If the rubber knob button has swelled up with age and is sticky and geting stuck on the handbrake lever, you can just take it out and just push the metal pin inside the lever. This is all i do.

Jiyujin

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore
For problem 1: If the rubber knob button has swelled up with age and is sticky and geting stuck on the handbrake lever, you can just take it out and just push the metal pin inside the lever. This is all i do.

Hello grnvs,

Thanks for that! I managed to fix problem 1 and 3, the handbrake and remote key, but I have not been able to find the problem with the engine warning light as yet. Will try this weekend.

Cheers!

grnvs

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs v8 5spd 9c1
Good to here. Check the codes as suggested. It'll tell u whats setting it off

Jiyujin

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore
Good to here. Check the codes as suggested. It'll tell u whats setting it off

Hi wozza, vrsprspt and grnvs,

I'm sorry but I made a mistake. It's the engine oil light (red light) that is coming on when idling at the lights and would go off when accelerating and not the orange engine light....oops! I checked following the instructions and got a code 12 so it's all okay there. I'm going to change the engine oil sensor that it located near the oil filter and see how it goes.

Thank you,
Jiyujin

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
Sounds like an oil pressure issue. Take it to a mechanic, if you drive it with low oil pressure for too long you could do some damage.