Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Help!!1 D=

Chalky01

Hose Technician.. HAHA
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive S2
Thanks to anyone who reads this for starters.
Me and my pop have been installing my audio system. Pretty much 2 subs in the boot and to replace the two rear speakers. Its a 1000 watt amp so it can run all the 4. What we've done is we ran 2 cables from the existing cables to the rear speakers, to the amp instead so they just bypass the speakers. Then we just doubled a sub and a speaker from one read jack, and the other 2 from the other. We ran a signal wire from the head unit and all the power leads necessary.

Now to the problem, lol. When we turn on the car, the speakers and subs dont work (but the amp gets power) until we replug the audio in at the amp, then it works. Everyone ive asked is absolutely baffled, lol

Thanks for your help,
Chalky

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
Ok, first you are going to have to work on your punctuation a little bit, i had to read your post 3 times, until i could begin to understand it...lol. Ok, now you've tapped into the rear speaker wire to get a signal to send to your subs right? Are you using a line out converter, or otherwise, how are you filtering the frequencies going to the subs, because i'm assuming you using a standard head unit....When you say you ran all power leads as nessacary, did you purchase an amp wiring kit? What exactly do you mean, by re-plugging the audio, into the amp?

holdenboy

Custom Car Stereo Systems
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
Yep im with the above post mate, you'll have to explain it a little better.

Maybe draw up a simple diagram of how youve got things connected?

cxcxcxvcvcvc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
Two things that will help is:

(1) If possible take photos of how you have wired everything up & post them up so everyone who want's to help can see, or as said draw a diagram!

(2) Go into your head deck settings and check to see if there is a subwoofer on/off setting!
Hope this helps mate:thumbsup:

bezz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK
Is the amp a 2 channel or 4 channel?
If i read this correctly you are running a speaker and a sub from each channel?
Are you using a LOC like holdecommodorevp asked, or have you run RCAs from the pre-out of an aftermarket head unit?

Chalky01

Hose Technician.. HAHA
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive S2
Hey, really sorry about the punctuation. Was in abit of a hurry lol. Ill add in a diagram of the wiring. About holdencommodorevp comment, yes i bought a amp wiring kit. Btw dont ever buy rampage! all the pre terminations were stuffed lol. As i said before, ive used the existing wiring from the head unit to the speakers, placed a connection and continued the wire to the amp. I know i know the pictures are in paint, hope you can understand them.

With the problem. The cables in question are the Audio In on the amp. When the car is on, the audio doesnt want to seem to go through to the amp. But when its taken out (the audio In), then placed back into the Audio In on the amp, Violah! the music plays.
Thanks! :thumbsup:

Attachments

• Current.JPG
    Current.JPG
    39 KB · Views: 284
  • Existing.JPG
    Existing.JPG
    27.8 KB · Views: 247

bezz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK
can you give us the brand name and model number of the amp?

bezz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK
Well i think my pops done it wrong. Its a four channel, but because apparently i need the 'balance' hes doubled 1 sub and 1 speaker into the rear left, and the other sub and speaker goes into the rear right.

Run the rear speakers off the front channels of the amp, subs off the rear channels of the amp.

Also with your input to the amp, generally you should be using RCAs from the head unit as these are a low level signal, and shouldnt be using a high level signal from your speaker wires (unless you install a LOC). There are some amps that are an exception to the rule but I haven't seen one in years and I doubt that is the case here. Once again though, I'll be able to answer all your questions once you give me brand and model number of the amp ;)