Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

HELP: 17" Rims shooting off everywhere?

Bob129

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Exec Series II
Hey all,
I've recently put on sum VZ SV6 rims on my car (vs s2), i had the wheels balanced because they were randomly going off in different directions, i think it has to do with the road surface, like it hits a dip or a bump and that makes the wheels bounce of a certain way, even a tiny change in surface made the wheels react, so anyway, got wheels balanced, seemed a little better, but might have just been in my head, hoping it was better, and so now ive had enuff!! im driving along and the wheels just jolt the car in different directions all over the place!!
The wheels are 235/45/R17 Bridgestone Potenzas pumped to about 36PSi, and have been balanced once.
So my question is, was the balancing stuffed, and should i get it redone? or is it common for this to happen and i just have to put up with it because thats the price for good looks??

Help!

Thanks,
Rob

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Drop the tyre pressures to about 30psi so the tyres can grip the road properly. The ride will be softer as well.

Bob129

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Exec Series II
ahh k, only thing was i was reading a HSV tyre placard, (the ones they sell on ebay) and for 17" rims it says to have the wheels between 32 and 39, 32 being normal load, and 39 being maximum load...if i drop the pressue to say 32, will this fix the random jolting of the wheels?

HDT_aero

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
manual VN aero
the jolting indicates a suspension problem there is no reason larger rims or tyres will make the wheels change direction randomly however they will make a suspension issue more apparent

by the sounds of it i would say that you have worn bushes and/or strut tower rubbers or if your slack go to pedders and get the $14 suspension check and they will tell you exactly whats wrong ... you dont have to get them to fix it thow they can be a bit pricy

Bob129

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Exec Series II
hmmm, dunno if this is relevant, but the wheels diameter overall, rims+tyre are the exact same as i had on before. I now have 17" with 235/45 tyres, and i had 15" with 205/65 tyres before. So the exact same diameter. Wouldnt i be feeling the suspension problem then? because the ride was fine before the wheel change, or does the weight in the wheels have something to do with it too?

TheForgotten

only human......
Reaction score
Website
www.holdenscene.com
Members Ride
VR EXEC
more about having less sidewall flex. the 17's aren't absorbing the impact as much as the 15's did

Bob129

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Exec Series II
ahh k, yer makes sense, so do i lessen the PSi, or take it in for suspension check? or is there anything that could b wrong?
thanx

Scooter79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Calais supercharged
Seems pretty simple to me. Drop the tyre pressure to 32 then take it for a drive. If it is no better then you should take it somewhere like Pedders for a $14 check. $14 is nothing for a little piece of mind.

VY2ENJOY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Family Truckster
Definately sounds like bump steer, get your suspension checked and a good wheel alignment done as well, you dont have lowered suspension do you? if a wheel alignment wasnt done to well after the lowering job this will cause problems like this, if your wheel alignment has gone out or as mentioned your suspension bushes are worn, it will all be adding up to this problem. Lowering tyre pressure will soften the ride but I dont think it will solve your problem.