Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[HELP] 2001 VX Commodore one quirky issue

01VX-BSpec

Reaction score
Members Ride
2001 VX Commodore
Hello
New to the forums, been reading the knowledge on them for a few years now, but alas the time has come I'm in dire need of some help for my beloved wagon.

I went to start her up tonight, the battery and abs lights were on and the headlights got slightly brighter when i put her into drive. On my trip down the road i came to notice none of the gauges were working and my aftermarket amp for the components were not working (the subwoofer in the rear was however) she had a struggled start at the service station - upon reading the forums, I pulled out the ABS module plug - PROBLEM SOLVED! so i thought, soon as i hit the breaks ALL the lights on the cluster flashed and she was suffering the same issues as mentioned prior. She also got SUPER hot (equivalent to a full days drive in the desert if not hotter, coolant not pumping around?) All lights within the car including headlights also got slightly brighter when accelerating

Any idea's as to what this might be?

INSIGHT
She's had no issues since having a full work-over some 6 months ago, I've driven to WA via Kosciousko, ACT, Broken Hill through SA and then onto WA - the only issues I had was finding the mechanic never changed my rear pads (changed them at camp lol) and the power steering fluid dissapearing after lugging some 400kg up the hills of kosciousko

Both amps are running off the positive terminal, both running off the same 12v switch, both grounded to bolts within the car so I'd be baffled if it was my amp in any sense, it seems when i hit the breaks it cuts the power out of the entire front end almost - she even idles rough

Checked the battery terminals, there fine, there was a large amount of smoke coming from the bay and i do know i need to replace my power steering pump after the kosciousko issue so id say it was burning off excess P/S fluid

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
Pretty sure the voltage regulator on your alternator is stuffed.
A cheap and easy fix.
First check the voltage at the battery with the engine running, it should be around 14 - 14.4 volts. Anything a fair bit higher or lower is no good.
You are likely to do damage if you keep driving it like that.

01VX-BSpec

Reaction score
Members Ride
2001 VX Commodore
Cheers mate will check that before i head off this morning, definitly dont plan on driving with it the way it is

[EDIT] Went to check her this morning - dead as a damn doornail, cannot even unlock the doors with the key and dead locked... Got through the boot luckily, turned the key and no start, lights on dash very dim and the aftermarket head unit had odd lines going through it and WOULD NOT turn off when key removed
I have removed the positive terminal from the battery and letting her sit like this
I too feel you are 100% on it being the voltage regulator, but why would this cause the battery to go dead when not in use? Is this due to it sending power to accessories because its not regulating the 12v power correctly?

Cheers

Last edited:

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
The overcharging fries the battery, happens a lot.

01VX-BSpec

Reaction score
Members Ride
2001 VX Commodore
Ah yeh makes sense
So I'll need a new battery also? Or could I get away with a jump start?
Going to be putting a new alternator in also
Thanks a heap for the help

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ah yeh makes sense
So I'll need a new battery also? Or could I get away with a jump start?
Going to be putting a new alternator in also
Thanks a heap for the help

With a new alternator you should get by with a jump start until you turn the car off again.

01VX-BSpec

Reaction score
Members Ride
2001 VX Commodore
With a new alternator you should get by with a jump start until you turn the car off again.
So I'll need to charge the battery or replace it?
I'm hoping I haven't fried the electrics after seeing that smoke and reading your warning of not driving, I did drive maybe 1km up to the servo and back, few laps around the block trying to work out what is
Ah well, fingers crossed that she will live to see another day

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
You can get your battery tested but I think you will need a new one.

Aussie Trev

Reaction score
Members Ride
2 by VX Acclaim Wagon Series II 2001 & 2002
Cheers mate will check that before i head off this morning, definitly dont plan on driving with it the way it is

[EDIT] Went to check her this morning - dead as a damn doornail, cannot even unlock the doors with the key and dead locked... Got through the boot luckily, turned the key and no start, lights on dash very dim and the aftermarket head unit had odd lines going through it and WOULD NOT turn off when key removed
I have removed the positive terminal from the battery and letting her sit like this
I too feel you are 100% on it being the voltage regulator, but why would this cause the battery to go dead when not in use? Is this due to it sending power to accessories because its not regulating the 12v power correctly?

Cheers
It is possible you have a short circuit/low resistance fault internal in the alternator which would flatten the battery, and possibly produce smoke.

oska

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx custom 600RR
yes a faulty regulator will overheat/smoke and cause the battery to drain