Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Help adjusting pro ratchet with 4l60e

dobesz

355ssute
Reaction score
Members Ride
vs ss ute
Hey guys so installed my pro ratchet shifter a while ago with drop down box, dakota unit etc, got smashed with work and hardly touched it in weeks. So had issues adjusting and couldn't get it to work, what was wrong was my 4l60e has longer shaft sticking out of box for selector than the early 4l60e's. So needed a special late model 4l60e bracket.

Installed bracket and everything lines up nice, i adjust cable for 1st and park and then get every gear except doesnt quite grab neutral.

If i then adjust to grab neutral properly it then doesn't grab 1st properly. No matter how you adjust it either neutral or 1st is not locating correctly. Anyone had any issues with adjusting cable? Yes it is meant to work with a 4l60e but just doesn't want to work.

Any ideas?

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Correct length cable?

No steep angling of cable?

Is cable looped as diagram?

Is bracket on auto aligned up straight..does it select all gears if move it by hand...is it sloppy..is it catching on inhibitor?
(had trimatic brackets that were utterly crap brand new)

Just basics off I can think of right now.

dobesz

355ssute
Reaction score
Members Ride
vs ss ute
Yea it is looped exactly as it is on the diagram, when not conected to box it slides in and out nicely.
-It is the correct late model 4l60e bracket
-bracket and auto align nice and straight
-it gets every gear perfectly but doesnt quite grab neutral unless you bang it into gear. But when adjusted enough that it does it then doesnt get first properly.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
You know you have 2 park positions? A rolling park and a locked park? Make sure you are adjusting it in the locked park lever position. Also, you are definitely using the B&M2 hole in the trans lever for the cable? Had one of these on a trimatic then pulled the bolt out so it finds 4th to fit it to a 4L60E and never had a problem.

dobesz

355ssute
Reaction score
Members Ride
vs ss ute
Yea setting it up in second park as its like that as gm longer park throw than the fords n chryslers. I am using the hole that the instructions said to use for 4 speed boxes. what is the b&m 2 hole? You talking about how the lever that goes on to box that looks like a hammer has three holes in it?

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Yeah guess you changed pin position for 4 speed as instructed at start.

Only thing that caught me out before when younger was loop of cable on cousin's charger...nice circular loop we thought,adjusted right but then after drive & heat it'd didn't feel right.

Auto builder said we needed longer cable so was more straight length at auto end & much bigger loop required...it worked.

My vh has dirty big loop comes out dropbox & way it loops touches both sides of tunnel curves around just short of slip yoke where goes down beside auto to shifter bracket...looks to big & wrong yet works perfectly.

dobesz

355ssute
Reaction score
Members Ride
vs ss ute
mmmm got me thinking as it comes out of drop box, loops around to right, then down right side of box,back and slow curve around and under box just before gear box cross member. Then into back of the bracket that holds it to box.
All the arcs are fairly gradual, the cable moves very easily so would think that means its working as it should? Wouldnt of thought could fit a longer cable. But maybe you are right but doesnt make sense.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
True didn't make sense at time either but tried it anyway.

On Charger we had nice 360 degree loop all looked nice & neat...wasnt quite right.Think maybe loop too small so cable rubs or tensioned inside sheathing.
Possible in theory,do know my lc torrie could snap speedo cables easily if it had slightest bend or kink even though it looked fine.

Mine looks big as basketball hoop as if it's got too big cable...works well even with dodgiest dropbox you've ever seen in your life & see-through melted speedo cable haha.

But yeah at auto end cable is straight as almost to rear of auto. Sometimes can be just the simplest of things...

ps Now that you mentioned loop curve remember instructions said some go left others preferred right curve depending on auto.

Last edited:

dobesz

355ssute
Reaction score
Members Ride
vs ss ute
Furk going to be a prick to re run a cable as the vs trans tunnel pretty slim, was a bitch to get the cable in and sitting sweet. Ill have another play and do that as a last resort. Yes you are correct it does curve just before going into the bracket on the box.
It pushes left out of drop box then swoops right and down, like in the pic in the instructions.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Yea setting it up in second park as its like that as gm longer park throw than the fords n chryslers. I am using the hole that the instructions said to use for 4 speed boxes. what is the b&m 2 hole? You talking about how the lever that goes on to box that looks like a hammer has three holes in it?

Yes, the lever on the box itself. They should have numbers stamped next to the holes.

Pretty crude drawing, but this is the hole you need to have the cable attached to.

BampM_zpskhbsx5mx.jpg