Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

HELP air-con drain pipe blocked

Overdose

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 5.0L Exec
I've been getting a mist through the vents and fogging up of the windscreen sometimes. I doubt its the heater core because I cant smell coolant and there isnt any coming through the footwells. theres only a musty dirty smell.

I've heard this is caused by a blocked drain pipe but no one has said where exactly it is.

I know it is around the gearbox but I had a look and cant see any pipes ending around there.

the car is a VT 5L manual if that changes anything.

also I was told that it can be blown out with a compressor but I'm not sure about that because it would come from inside the dash wouldnt it?

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
It doesn't stick out like a pipe really, more of a hole with a grommet. It's a bit hard to find so a torch will help. It's up above the transmission, more on the passenger's side I think. When you find it, shove something like a cable tie up there to dislogde any crap. Avoid using anything metal like a screwdriver unless you are careful. Be prepared for a shower if it is blocked.

50LTRv8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT V8 Calais
I just used a coathanger bent straight to unblock mine

Overdose

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 5.0L Exec
cheers guys, just waiting for it to cool down so I dont fry on the exhausts. I'll take a picture when I find it too.

wrx884

WA's ASR Rep
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Exec/ VT L67 Spac, 5L VP Calais, 77 TC Gemini
let us know how u go man i get the same symptoms in mine except i get some coolent (not water) leakin out from the drain pipe only wen i use the air con. im thinkin its the heater core not sure how its doin that tho.

Overdose

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 5.0L Exec
drain pipe wasn't blocked, I have a picture if any one wants it.

I read in another thread that you can take the plenum off the left hand side near the windshield and take out some mesh and tap open a vent.
can someone please let me know exactly what to do?
I pulled off one layer of that black plasctic under the wipers and couldnt see anything worthwhile. do I have to take the next layer off?

sparkydude3

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR commodore
Im still having the same problem with my VR and photos would be greatly appreciated, ive jacked the car up and everything, still cant find the piping.

savage1987

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
LS1 VN + WK Grange 0010 + HPW VX SS
Im still having the same problem with my VR and photos would be greatly appreciated, ive jacked the car up and everything, still cant find the piping.

There will be one on each side of the trans tunnel in your VR I think mate, there is in my VN and both were blocked.
I only found mine with the gearbox out completely and even then it took me a minute to work out what they were :p

Look for 2 clam lookin' black rubber things poking out of your floor pan. Big enough to stick your thumb in.

Rawiri

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR VT VY
I am having issues with my vr ss, floor on the passenger side is getting soaked, I don’t know where to find the pipe.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
It's under the passenger side towards the middle of the trans tunnel. It is basically directly under the edge of the heater box, in about 60mm from the edge of the radio. Don't go looking for two holes, the other side should be blanked off on the VR.