Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Help and advice please

SSPOWER

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Special Edition
Ok this is gonna take a while, but I have a massive problem and would appreciate any help I can get!

Hi, I own a 2009 VE SSV Special Edition 6Spd Manual. It's had some work done(most work done prior to my purchase) and is running 339rwkw. Had for about 2 years and done 55000km.

So I was driving home one night a couple of months ago, slowing down as the light was red, so I dropped into first gear, light went green, I turned off traction control and decided to be an idiot and rev it and take my foot off the clutch. Something gave off a loud bang or clank sound from the rear left wheel. Sounded very bad. Continued accelerating, and I started getting a lot of banging at the rear left wheel and the wasn't accelerating properly. Like my revs were going up when accelerating, but the car wasn't moving as it should've been. Felt like something wasn't catching onto the wheel to turn it properly. Managed to drive it 15kms home, but it took so long. Haven't been able to drive it since as it just won't move properly and makes a loud banging sound from the rear left every time I try and accelerate or even just slowly release my foot from the clutch.

PLEASE HELP ME SOMEONE! Just need to know what it might be so the mechanic I go to doesn't charge me heaps. Been told it's the tail shaft or diff by mates, but they're not pros. Anymore info needed please ask. Thanks

uniacidz

Harden the Frak Up
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Prob diff mate

Zerone_V

Reaction score
Members Ride
Lexus IS350 (SL)
Have a look underneath the car.

It sounds like the problem will be obvious.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk 4

SSPOWER

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Special Edition
Thanks for the replies. A mate and myself jacked it up, put it on stands, took the wheel off, took the brakes off just so we could see if we could spot the problem, and nothing looked out of the ordinary. But then I started it up and eased my foot off the clutch, and still, same problem.

Benboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 SVZ Wagon
Have the differential checked by a competent mechanic. If you are a member of an Auto Club (NRMA, RACV, RAA etc) check with them as many offer a diagnostic service for members.

WazzaVN

Wazza VN
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 6ltr ute, VP Calais and HJ Prem
Sounds like you've ruined a driveshaft. Maybe ripped your diff bush who knows allot of things can cause a bang/clunk. I wouldn't be driving it. Tow it somewhere or get a mechanic around to look at it.

Shorty33

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega sedan 3.0 2010
while jacked up, neutral, brake off -
normally, the only thing a wheel ought to do is rotate.
Grasp the tyre with both hands, 180 degrees apart - can you move the wheel in any other plane than rotation ?
If so, then your bearing is probably collapsed.
If it doesn't rotate at all, then it might be the bearing or the diff, or the other possibilities others have mentioned.
Sorry that I didn't go into more detail earlier.

Please let us know how this ends.

SSPOWER

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Special Edition
Once again guys thanks for all the info. I'm organizing a tow truck to take it to a mechanic today. Will let everyone know how it goes once I know. Cheers

`Aleks

Reaction score
Members Ride
Black SSV
Might be your spider gears in your diff