Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Help and input needed please - wheel arches touching tyre

loku16

Reaction score
Website
www.addicted2fish.com.au
Members Ride
2010 VE SS-V Wagon
Hi guys,
I upgraded my rims to 20"s and then put 275 deep dish at the back. Car is lowered using King springs and stock shocks but now on a heavy bump, the inside of the wheel arches are touching the tyre. I've got some good tyres so wanting to get the scrubbing fixed ASAP.

1. Where can I go to get this fixed? Do I need a panel beater? If so, can you recommend one in SE suburbs?
  2. Do I need to upgrade my shocks which I'm happy to do?
  3. Do you recommend I get the GT Monroe like most people have (found by searching the forum) or get Eibach which I have had before?

Just want your thoughts as a couple of places said to just replace with heavy duty shocks and that should solve the problem but I'm not convinced as I think I need to get the guards rolled!

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

TinSnips

Polish all the things...
Reaction score
Website
www.drivencolour.com.au
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute
Heavy duty shocks will reduce the chance of scrubbing but won't eliminate the possibility of it. I'd be trying to rectify the problem completely. However I would get better shocks anyway but that's just my opinion.

As far as a solution is concerned, you may need to get the guards rolled but someone who knows more about it will be able to give better advice than me.

tomholzy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS II
roll the guards as close as they can,
if it still does it, youll either have to get a different wheel with a better offset, or dont have the car so low...
although shocks will make the ride better they wont do anything to stop the scrubbing - thats because the car is low and the tyre pokes out too far

bladerunner

"needs a bit'a nitrous"
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS UTE & a 71' deltek rockhopper
go with the monroe short arm shocks, these are made to suit lowered cars if you didnt know already, eibachs would be better but you would be better off going for adjustables if that were the case. but for the money the monroes do a good job. as for rolling the guards be real carefull who you get to do the job as its not as easy as it sounds and can end up disastrous if a tyreshop cowboy does it- warped guards, cracked paint around the lip edge are few that ive seen, done properly it wiil not hurt anything, just make sure you ask plenty of ? and try to see their work and have a look at some they have done

TinSnips

Polish all the things...
Reaction score
Website
www.drivencolour.com.au
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute
agree with you on the Bilstein! :thumbsup: Just need to find a place in VIC and also someone who knows what they are doing with rolling the guards!

Autotechnique sell billies - they're in knoxfield. Can't help you with the guard rolling though mate.

UFO

I Believe
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE International Sportwagon SIDI 3L
id be less inclined to spend money changing shocks and instead get the guards rolled.
your spring rate controls compression, all the shocks do is absorb the movement of the springs and stop the bouncing floating effect of the springs repeatedly going in and out.... the shocks wont stop that initial bump into the guard, unless you get shocks that are really tight and restrict the movement a lot- but then this will give you a jarring ride and detrimentally affect handlling.

if you really want deep dish rims, make room for them- but let the suspension do its job the way its supposed to. making the rear much stiffer will only help you lose traction.

Last edited: