Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Help appreciated asap : noise while on throttle from rear!!

vnssezzz

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN SS
Gday , I put a new fuel pump in my vn ss and changed to single hi pressure internal , all was well except after a week started making a clicking/light thump noise only while on the throttle , the noise speeds up according to throttle. It is coming from the rear right side near or in front of tank , sounds like it is tapping on the underbody. It didn't effect pump performance , I changed pumps today and chucked on external and the noise is still there. Could it be a metal fuel line seeing as it is varies only on throttle , possibly loosened from pump changing etc? , I have also done rotors and pads but they seem perfect. Any ideas out there? Any help hugely appreciated. Cheers.

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
you didnt refit the pulse dampner which is normally on the external pump bracket after the pump.you are suffering fuel line hammer with the pressure pulses of the injectors opening and closing.fit the pulse dampner inline between tank and fuel line and all will be fixed

vnssezzz

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN SS
Totally hear you , I am sure it is fuel related. I didn't refit the dampner at first but I put it back on today when I put the new pumps on , I also fitted a second fuel filter to see if that helped. The noise is still there though.

mr j-man

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/E 355
" noise while on throttle from rear "

it wouldn't happen to be your tyres screeching with plumes of rubber smoke would it? lol

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
did you notice if the bottom of the sender unit still had the rubber bump stop on it ?
If the rubber has fallen off, the end of the metal pipe could be rattling on the bottom of the tank perhaps ?

vnssezzz

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN SS
Thanks for the advice , appreciated hugely!. This is making me go insane , this noise wasn't there 3 weeks ago. Spent my days off replacing fuel lines and vacuum lines , tightened all fuel lines front to back , New regulator hose , everything checked and tightened front to back. Took pump out , tightened connections , sender all good and plug , double checked re install. Finished at 5 today. Jumped in car and drove off , driving awesome engine wise but the noise was there and louder than ever , got into town 2 kms awayand there was a wheel rubbing noise starting from rear left , pulled over as my head was about to explode. Checked under , wheel , there was nothing different. Took off home d within 50m the noise was insane with mass wheel rub noise , got so bad within 2kms home I had to jam brakes as last resort ,dulled it a little. Got home thought wtf , looked closely with a torch in rear left.....spring was diagonal!. Now rectified , about to take it for a drive , this was the wheel I jacked high to get new rotor on as handbrake stuck. Hoping this spastic oversight is the cause of all the noise , explains why the fuelilne tabs were pulled to that side I hope.. I am gong to f@!king explode if this noise persists. Ready for stall launching black lines.!!