Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Help bonnet won't open since CAI was fitted

Full Spectrum

Bro it's a VW your Audi!
Reaction score
Website
www.news.com.au
Members Ride
Berlina V6
Hi i just bought a VS S/C CAI and fitted it pretty easy and all, Closed the bonnet and the dam thing wont open now. The bonnet lever isn't broken but it feels like it, Had someone pull it as i pressed on it up and down but nothing at all would open it up, Had some problems fitting the screws in for the part over the radiator but still worked out OK.
It's a shame cause i took it for a drive and loved it felt great mid range power in 2nd gear was better then ever. It really runs nice i like it. Just can't get this stupid bonnet up now.

Stevob

Reaction score
Members Ride
May 1991 VN Wagon V6 Auto
If it can't be released with someone pushing down on it, then there's probably some tool left under the bonnet around the edges creating the extra pressure. Push down around the edges of the bonnet to see if you can feel it.

Also try pushing down just to the sides of the latch.

coolvxss

Reaction score
Members Ride
5sp VN Executive1988, VX SS 6sp
Yeah i left a screw driver under the bonnet edge and my bonnet got stuck haha. but i eventully got it.

HDT_aero

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
manual VN aero
if the above dont work then your cable could be stretched you can get it open by removing the front bumper and reaching up and pulling either the exposed cable or the actual spring really hard toward the drivers side

if you have a grill you can get off with the bonnet down then just remove that instead of the bumper

Full Spectrum

Bro it's a VW your Audi!
Reaction score
Website
www.news.com.au
Members Ride
Berlina V6
Everything didn't work but one thing is for sure nothing is is left under the bonnet, I think it's the CAI thats done it, I gave my mechanic a call and he said he will fix it and i hope he can set the CAI up also.
Wasn't it if you used the hair dryer it would close??

Stevob

Reaction score
Members Ride
May 1991 VN Wagon V6 Auto
Just get the angle grinder out.

Full Spectrum

Bro it's a VW your Audi!
Reaction score
Website
www.news.com.au
Members Ride
Berlina V6
It was the bonnet cable it's going had my mechanic open it up and he set the CAI down good, Fixed the bonnet for now but he said if that cable goes go down to holden and grab a new one and he will fit it on.
Biggest problem was the CAI was really sitting hard on the Bonnet, He did something i haven't seen before but it worked perfect, He told me maybe i shouldn't watch this as it might upset me. I said no I'll watch, He got a lump of wood out stuck it under the front of the bonnet and bent the bonnet and the bonnet closed perfect with the CAI. It looked bad doing it but it worked:D.

Now can anyone tell me something i here this very small whistle from the CAI it's weird nothing like a Pod, Is that normal?.

Emackulation

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
'92 HSV VP GTS
Bent the bonnet?! Sheesh man fook that, lol. If you just leve the car in the hot sun for a day the bonnet weight and the heat would of shaped the CAI to fit to your bonnets shape, the same as a hair dryer, but hair dryer is the quick option.