Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

help broken camshaft vn converted to vp

scotishrocker

Reaction score
Members Ride
vp
hi can someone please help we have a broken camshaft on our holden with vp motor do we have to replace the motor or just the camshaft and can the camshaft be replaced without removing the motor

Morton

For external use only
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairstar the Funship
I would be quite concerned about WHY the camshaft has broken. What condition were the bearings in?

I daresay to check this out properly, you want to remove the engine, and pull it all apart. Have a good look at the big end bearings, check clearances and bores, and see what condition the valvetrain is in.

But if you just wanted to change cams, that can be done with the motor and radiator in on a V6, and with the radiator and condensor out on a V8.

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
It's one of the most common ways the V6 dies (broken cam) I was talking to some guy the other day that's broken 3 of them. And they almost allways broke cams in the Formula Holden racing it's just a problem with the motor. For fixing it, it depends on it anything else broke with it, it probably did and it will be cheaper and easier to change the whole engine anyway

rob drag racer

vn vp drag nut
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
vp 3.8 with gas new project vn s1 guted strip only
i sheared the hole front end of the cam in the first race car when the first engine went the bearing seized and sheared the end of the cam off it was very amusing pulling the balencer off without undoing the bolt and taking the timing case off lol :D

i might add the timing gears where shated at the same time that's what no oil change for 400 000 km will do for ya and then riding the limiter

just pull that sucker out and go get another hole engine from the wreckers mins all the bolt ons there reasonably cheep to get