Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Help cant start my vz

Mork

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz Berlina
I have a Vz berlina purchased a few weeks ago. Upon sale the seller turned the key and nothing happened. He said its just the relay and pulled it out and put a wire across and it started. I took it straight to a spares shop and replaced the relay. A couple of days later it did it again so i got a wire and put it from 87 to 85 on the relay terminal. It worked a couple of times. and then next day cranked then it went dead no power across the relay 87 to 85. I checked all fuses . Then checked youtube and discovered they were using 87 to 30 to start it. I tried that and it cranks but no starting and 87 to 85 still has no power to crank. Stuck in driveway cant move it. Any sugestions?
Thanks guys

Last edited:

newer

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz v6
Mork,
We had a similar (but not identical) 'not starting' problem a five years ago (unmodified VZv6exec sedan), solved by connecting 87 to 30 temporarily (as per item 6 below, following advice from roadside mechanic) to get the vehicle going, many times. You now also seem to have an additional issue which we never experienced.
Eventually (after we got sick of doing this) our auto elec recommended replacing the electronic control module (without being 100% confident it would fix the problem) or computer (about $1000) on the front of the engine, and we had no further problems, still got car.

We used the following starting methodology (written for others to use, so is very specifically cautious; but may not apply to your situation but perhaps similar to youtube which I havent seen), at the time, which seems very similar to what you tried earlier, which worked for us:

If the Commodore fail s to start, and you have tried both keys (if readily available)

No tools are needed, only a piece of wire

1. Ensure the gearbox is in P (Park) with hand brake on and at least one window almost fully open to allow unlocking of the vehicle (in case the auto-locking inadvertently locks the doors). Ensure the headlights, radio etc and other accessories are turned OFF. Release and open the bonnet.

2. Remove the relay black plastic cover labelled “FUSES-RELAYS” in engine bay right hand side by pressing tag catch at the front, and place cover out of the way.

3. Lift and remove the front-most relay (black colour? there are 5 relays in a row) from its mount under the cover (labelled ‘START RELAY’ on the underside of the black plastic cover), and place relay in secure spot, out of the way.

4. Turn the key in the ON position (ie; not the START position) and the dashboard display light up.

5. Stand to the side of the vehicle (in case it moves while starting)

6. With the short piece (200mm) of insulated wire place one end in the relay mount terminal (MOST LEFT, with reference to vehicle) 87 (of the removed relay base, see DIAGRAM below) and then for a short period (a few seconds, or about the same time as when turning the key to start the car normally) place the other end in the adjacent terminal (FRONT MOST, with reference to vehicle) 30 of the relay base (this shorts out the relay contacts 30&87). You may see a small spark when connecting or removing the wire. Do not put the wire into any of the other terminals in the mount. The starter motor should turn the engine and the engine should start and run normally. When this happens remove both wire ends cleanly (without contacting other metal vehicle parts) in the reverse order of application.

7. The engine should continue to run normally so reinstall the relay (align the relay terminal orientation to be correct before placing onto base and pushing it into place) and the black plastic cover and close the hood. Drive away without turning the engine off.

Note for Ron: relay base terminal 85 (coil) and 30 (contact) have +12V on them when key is in ON position. Most likely the relay coil 85 to 86 terminals stays un-energised due to the fault-the relay gets 12V onto the 85 coil terminal when attempting to start but get no negative onto the other coil terminal 86, when the car fails to start.

newer

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz v6
diagram found

Attachments

• IMG.pdf
    411.5 KB · Views: 235