Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

help changing cigarette lighter

tim69

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr
Hi guys
need some help to change the cigarette lighter in my vs
as usual the wires frayed and pulled off from the clamps underneath and i snapped one clap while trying to fix it
anyway i got a new one from repco but it has a single red wire connected to the bottom, not the two clamp system
how do i go installing the new one?
there are two wires on the old one - a brown and a black.. is one of these the ground or do i have to join the two with the red wire coming of the new one?
as you can see i have no idea with basic electrics

thanks

HRVATSKI_VOJNIK

a.k.a KRIS
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore V6
i believe that the brown is positive and black is neg/ground (black is always Negative in the real world)

so connect the red to brown, and the cylinder is the neg(-), so attach the black wire to it

check where the old clamps attach,

just wait for someone correct me about the colors

as for removing it, i believe the big nut near the bottom just screws off, and you just push the lighter out

Last edited:

tim69

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr
hi thanks for that
I can remove the plug no problems
ill give that wire setup a go then and see how it goes

vr piggy bank

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr ute s pack
hey mate yeah brown is the positve. not sure how you will go if you have to soldier the negative wire soldier wont stick to it

HRVATSKI_VOJNIK

a.k.a KRIS
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore V6
hey mate yeah brown is the positve. not sure how you will go if you have to soldier the negative wire soldier wont stick to it

i found out if you able to get enough solder to stick on any surface, it will stay, other wise he'll have to alot use of electrical tape to keep the wire down.

i wasen't sure about the colors because i remember when i "hacked" the positive from the ciggie lighter, i had to change the cable over to the other clamp.
turns out for some reason i must have attached it to the black (don't know why, lack of concentration?)

Beny

Reaction score
Website
s654.photobucket.com
Members Ride
VS Commy V6
connect the brown to the red and then strip the black and touch it on the outer part of your new one (black is only the ground wont bite you lol)if it works solder it onto the body if it doesnt did u get a universal one i think in other modles they have a ring at the top that makes the ground connection hence why ur left with one wire.

tim69

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr
all sorted
i stripped them down and connected the brown to the red wire and just taped them
and connected the black to the outer casing by threading the wire through the loop and then taping, no solder but the way it is i dont think it will come off now
had to replace the fuse as well (number 15), now all good and working
thanks for your help