Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Help: Changing Sparkies (VS)

nado69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive S2
Hey, im having troubles getting my sparkplugs out? There is a metal protector that covers the ingnition lead, that runs to the sparkies... The problem is i cant pull it out!
Is there any specific tool needed to do this? Or should they just pull out ... i know in my dads VT they just simply come out.
Maybe there stuck? (hopenot)
Any Ideas Anyone? Thanks

Car: 97 VS - Series 2 (6cyl)

Last edited:

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
lol, i guess that gives you an idea of how long ago the spark plugs were changed....that metal heat shroud just pulls off mate, i dare say its just stuck, maybe even fused on due to the exhaust manifold heat over time.... who knows.
try some multigrips and a gentle hand (you dont wanna break the thing)...maybe some wd40 to loosen it up.

nado69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive S2
sircruisealotVS said:
lol, i guess that gives you an idea of how long ago the spark plugs were changed....that metal heat shroud just pulls off mate, i dare say its just stuck, maybe even fused on due to the exhaust manifold heat over time.... who knows.
try some multigrips and a gentle hand (you dont wanna break the thing)...maybe some wd40 to loosen it up.
Ouch! yeah it gets me thinkging :p ... are the ignition leads suppused to come out before the metal cover? Or should they both come out at the same time?
Hmm WD40 will hopefully do the job :)

Harvs82

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY08 Subaru Liberty GT-B & MY16 VF II SS Redline
nado69 said:
Ouch! yeah it gets me thinkging :p ... are the ignition leads suppused to come out before the metal cover? Or should they both come out at the same time?
Hmm WD40 will hopefully do the job :)

The metal shield you describe is actually part of the ignition leads. It is possible to disconnect the metal shield though, depending on what the design is. Original VS leads had the fatter metal shield, whereas VT onwards had the thinner metal shielding.

Try grabbing the metal shield and wiggle side to side gently, whilst pulling on the shield. This should remove the lead and shield so you can access the spark plug. Whatever you do, make sure you remember which lead goes on which plug, and dont try and pull the leads off by the actual lead itself!

jazza21

Executive (Ex-Police)
Reaction score
Website
www.cardomain.com
Members Ride
VS II Exec 1997
I recall having heaps of difficulty getting these off my VS, as well a mate's VN. Ended up having to sacrifice one of the leads and destroy it to get the bugger off from the VN... Just make sure you have access to equivalent spares if you're going to this extreme. Or this could even be a good time to take advantage of the situation and replace the lot!

nado69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive S2
:D brought new leads too! Noted down where each plug went, so should be sweet once I get it done in the morning. Cheers