Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[Help] Checking for errors in vn.. which wires?

holdensmychoice

Reaction score
Members Ride
89 VN Berlina 5sp 3.8
Hello, I read the guide on how to check for errors in the vn by bridging it with a paper clip.. I'm having difficulties finding which ones to bridge... i removed the kick panel to expose the metal case holding the memcal. I have no idea which ones to bridge.. is it 1 of the 2 cables plugged into the bottom of it? theres also some hanging above the case not plugged into anything. Nearly all of them have A white and A black wire. So im so confused which ones to bridge. I need a bit of an idiot guide or description. Cheers guys

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Its the plug just above the ECU thats not plugged into anything. It has 6 pins. When you find the 6 pin diag plug, you then need to find the White/black wire (Pin A on diag plug), and also the Black earth wire (Pin B on diag plug) and then connect these two pins with a piece of small wire or similar.Turn the ignition key on and the check engine light should flash up any logged codes, or if no codes are logged, flash up a continuous code 12.
Note- just remember that pin A pin and pin B etc is not actually marked on the diag plug, its only shows which pin is which in the workshop manuals,but if you just go by the wire colours, you cant go wrong.

Last edited:

holdensmychoice

Reaction score
Members Ride
89 VN Berlina 5sp 3.8
Its the plug just above the ECU thats not plugged into anything. It has 6 pins. When you find the 6 pin diag plug, you then need to find the White/black wire (Pin A on diag plug), and also the Black earth wire (Pin B on diag plug) and then connect these two pins with a piece of small wire or similar.Turn the ignition key on and the check engine light should flash up any logged codes, or if no codes are logged, flash up a continuous code 12.
Note- just remember that pin A pin and pin B etc is not actually marked on the diag plug, its only shows which pin is which in the workshop manuals,but if you just go by the wire colours, you cant go wrong.
Thanks heaps mate.. Very much appreciated. Will do that first thing tomorrow.