Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

help choosing cam for ls1

johnno010684

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Clubsport M6, Subaru Brumby-daily, TM Magna
ok guys the time has come for a cam. i dont have a mafless tune yet as i am going to install the cam and get tune done all at once. i have heard and seen alot of videos of the comp 232/234 112lsa. i dont know too much about cams so all help is really appreciated. i have extractors, high flow cats, twin 3" cat back. i also plan on doing 25% ud pulley, valve springs, push rods, valve seats etc when car is apart. i cant seem to find any dyno figures for this cam so how much would it make?
is this the comp cam that is so popular?

COMP CAMS 281 XTREME XE-R LS1-LS2-LS3-LS

Vt_vic

Reaction score
Members Ride
carless for now
it can make 400rwhp might be a bit big for a manual drinks heaps of fuel its an older cam the camtech 233/233 133 lsa is getting some good results best to ask your tuner what you want out of the car

ashbox

back in black
Reaction score
Members Ride
something black
agreed with vt vic, it depends on what you want out of the car...
how lumpy do you want the idle, how much do you use the car, could you handle how the car with then drive......
if you go too big the car is gonna be a pig to get off the line..

johnno010684

Reaction score
Members Ride
thanks for your replies guys, its mainly a weekender, doing longer trips as i live in the country all driving is 110kmh. what i want is something with a nice lumpy idle, i dont drive in the high rev's. what do you mean by a pig to get off the line?

beauzo

Reaction score
Members Ride
Monaro v2
The best thing to do is talk to your tuner. Have a real good think about how exactly your drive your car and how often you will even need that extra power of a cam when your driving it. If its more street driven you will want a smaller cam with less lobe lift as your torque will come on a lot sooner in the rev range and you won't have to rev the tits off your engine to reach the torque of a big cam.
If you don't drive it much and you like to really let your car loose when you do drive it then by all means you'll go with a bigger cam. Needless to say a bigger cam will be restricted by factory heads. From memory any cam that has a higher exhaust of 245 ie. 238/245 will be useless without ported heads.
And the other benefits of talking to your tuner will be that he will know of any new cam grinds that have come on the market. As the 232/234 is quite dated.

ashbox

back in black
Reaction score
Members Ride
something black
by being a pig to get off the line....
i mean harder to get moving from a standing start, you'll have to give it a few more revs than what you do know,
might also want to invest in a better clutch if you haven't done so already..
if you don't drive in the high rev range, i'd prob go with a smaller cam like beauzo has said for street driving, you'll have a lot more torque down lower rather than higher..
but the main thing you should do is talk to your tuner and see what he recommends...even ask if he has other customers with similar driving styles, might be able to hear one or 2

johnno010684

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hey guys, we have just decided to buy a new Holden cruze, so the clubby can be worked on abit. I can afford to get something a bit bigger cam wise now. What is a pretty big cam
That I can use without doing any head work ATM, but still be safe in a car that has done 190k?

Big-Al

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS 5.7 M6
If you don't use the high rev range, why on earth would you want to put such a big cam in it?
You'll have no torque down low where it seems you actually use it most hence why it has been said that it will be a pig to get off the line.

v8commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx ss
I have a vx ss with twin 2.5 232/234 cam heads are just 241 bit of clean up around the valves and been shaved for 11.0 comp. Fast intake setup its not a manual using 3000 stall 410rwhp 780nm on a mainline. You can make a cam lumpy or smooth to a certain degree. Mine was lumpy as hell but since had it tuned for a lot smoother faster idle. But being auto drives like a standard car gets 350km around town. Using a tighter stall so torque right there even thou im still using 3.07 gears in it still but will be putting in some 3.73s soon. Its a daily atm