Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

HELP! completely lost spark

mx kid

5th pinned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII CLUBSPORT
I have 5 litre vs ute as a spare car. My brother borrowed it today and while driving it stalled out of nowhere. All fluids and battery is find so I go to check spark. Nothin :(

I've just checked for fault codes (which I thought there would be a million) and it reads 12 all good!?

Important facts: it has MSD coil pack upgrade from previous owner and some pretty dodgy wiring to hook up a deity in the cabin for a big thermo. I've checked all fuses and wriggled the coil pack around but with my limited electrical knowledge there is not much else I can do.

Any help would be awesome. Cheers

mx kid

5th pinned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII CLUBSPORT
Deity = switch. Sorry for the horrible spelling, I'm using my phone to do this while crouched under my bonnet

cander24

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ GTO. VS LS1.
Could be a few things but the 5 litres are common for doing the ignition module (square alloy box on passenger side just infront of strut tower). Do you have access to another ignition module you can borrow to try it in your VS? The module is the same from the VN-VS 5 litres.

mx kid

5th pinned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII CLUBSPORT
Hmm not really that I could get easily. Any way to test this without bolting a different one up?

The car has been off the road for close to a year as I was slowly fixing diff problems. Only in the last couple days has it gone further than just around the block.

cander24

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ GTO. VS LS1.
There maybe a way, but I don't know this sorry. I've always diagnosed them by trying a known working one.

mx kid

5th pinned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII CLUBSPORT
Hmm Alrite thanks mate. I have a very weak pulse holding the main lead of the coil when turning it over. Im thinking it's something to do with that coil but if I can get my hands on another ignition module I'll try that

VrWagz1

The Wagon on Wheels..
Reaction score
Website
www.wagzhome.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VE SSV MY09 Auto Wagon
Being a 5ltr theres not too many things it will be. It will prob be, hall sensor, coil, ignition module or dizzy cap.
You can kill 2 birds with one stone by swapping a whole ne dizzy in. That leaves coil or ign module as possibilties. Have you checked codes yet?

mx kid

5th pinned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII CLUBSPORT
Yeah I checked codes. Nothing showing. I had a quick look at the dizzy but as u would know it's in a pretty horrible spot to get to so could do much apart from make sure everything was plugged in. When I have some time over the weekend I'll take some bits off and check them. Otherwise find a mate who is an auto sparky. Cheers fellas

5.0l

Travel In Style
Reaction score
Members Ride
WL Statesman
had huge dramas with my stato same problem as yours it was ignition module