Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

help: coolant change ASAP

kizza50

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX acclaim S2
jus wondering if someone can help me with a step by step guide to a basic coolant change. My car overheated for the first time ever last night, running to hot and then straight back down to cool, i topped it up with about 2 L of water, and then it was at the right level. i dont want to leave that much water in it howver, today i went out and purchased 5L of tectaloy 90 plus, pre mixed at 33%,
Been told to, drop bottom radiator hose, let all coolant drain, then take off tophose and put garden hose in and clean out the system,put all hoses back on. start the engine, and pour coolant in the radiator cap and turn the heater on, allow to flow all through and then open the bleeder on the thermostat housing, leting air out. and correct to right level. Is that right? any other tips?

graham7773

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim Wagon
If you are using a 33% premix, you are not going to get correct concentration of coolant. Not enough corrosion protection. After you flush the system (with the heater turned on full) and are happy with what you see coming out, ie clear water, make sure you have as much of the system empty as possible by dropping the bottom hose. Put it back on and put 6 liters of straight/undiluted coolant in. (Nulon long life recommended, no pellets needed) Top up with distilled/de-mineralised water and bleed. I know you said you have 33% but if you use it, you will finish with about 20% coolant mix in the motor instead of 50%. This gives virtually no corrosion protection. The only way, short of inverting your motor, to drain your coolant completely is to remove your knock sensors. Pain of a job even with a hoist.

VYMAD

SILVERFOX
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY EXECUTIVE S2
If you are using a 33% premix, you are not going to get correct concentration of coolant. Not enough corrosion protection. After you flush the system (with the heater turned on full) and are happy with what you see coming out, ie clear water, make sure you have as much of the system empty as possible by dropping the bottom hose. Put it back on and put 6 liters of straight/undiluted coolant in. (Nulon long life recommended, no pellets needed) Top up with distilled/de-mineralised water and bleed. I know you said you have 33% but if you use it, you will finish with about 20% coolant mix in the motor instead of 50%. This gives virtually no corrosion protection. The only way, short of inverting your motor, to drain your coolant completely is to remove your knock sensors. Pain of a job even with a hoist.

I would mix the coolant before filling it up.

edals

Reaction score
Members Ride
-
I would mix the coolant before filling it up.

+1. I Mix in a bucket first, and make it about 60% as just plain water is still in the block since you just flushed it, so when adding it should be closish to 50/50

JRNZER

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hyundai i30 N-Line
Been thinking of doing this myself.
Thanks for posting the step by step guide,Very helpful.

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY s m5 supercharged
have you checked your oil when it does that it can mean your head gasket has let go???

pablo

Donating member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Was a 1997 vt v6 wagon
The system holds 12 liters according to the 'book'. Each time I have remove the bottom rad hose on my VT6, I only ever can catch 6 liters. That means that there is still 6 liters trapped in block. Only way to get remaining coolant out is to remove the farkin' knock sensors......... Plik of a job!..So I don't bother any more. To get the 50% mix, after flushing the complete system with clean water, (heater tap ON) Fit bottom hose and remove top hose at radiator and pour in neat concentrate. When all the gurglng has stopped and coolant can be seen rising in hose, pop it back on to radiator inlet and finish filling through radiator filler.
This will have taken almost 6 liters of concentrate direct into top hose to get this far, and mixed with the 6 liters of clean water already left in block from the flush, will give you the 50/50 mix recommended.
If you put the 50% pre mix into the flushed block,(still half full of undrained water) this will be further diluted it down to a ratio of around 25%. Not enough for satisfactory corrosion protection.

protection!

graham7773

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim Wagon
pablo, much what I said but what is the advantage of putting the straight coolant in via top hose instead of in the radiator filler neck? And you are right about knock sensors. I got under mine, looked, got out and forgot about knock sensors. And if they are taken out you have to put sealer on the thread before putting them back in. Now I will wait for the "plumbers tape" suggestions. Gaffer tape?

oska

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx custom 600RR
i'm getting it done soon cos i run LPG to keep the system clean

i'll let them do it properly so it's not my problem