Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

help: coolant change ASAP

pablo

Donating member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Was a 1997 vt v6 wagon
7773, pouring it down the hose is only a bit quicker, easier and less messy. I have done it both ways (putting the coolant into the radiator, that is....LOL) The workshop manual even suggests doing it that way. It would be up to the bloke doing the job.

wortus

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Series 2 25th Anniversary in Phantom Mica
It's a good idea to use a coke bottle or similar with the bottom cut off, you wrap some electrical tape on the thread and put it into the radiator. Next fill it with coolant and open the bleed screw that way you make sure you have let all the air out. The bottle lets the coolant rise above the top of the engine and pushes any trapped air out of the system, you may have to have the heater tap open but I think they still let any air out of the heater core as they don't close off totally but I am not sure. You can start the engine and turn the heater on to make sure if you like.
When flushing the system you can remove the heater hoses from the front of the motor and blow the water out of the heater core with your mout over one of the hoses that way you get a bit more out and you do need to add the concentrate first, 6 litres of it and then top up with water. the overflow you top up with a pre mix of 50/50.

kizza50

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX acclaim S2
so i took back the 33% mix and bought 5L of nulon long life concentrate, im just wondering if someone will run through the exact steps. or if this is correct,
wait til car is col, remove bottom hose, let all drain, remove top hose from radiator, reverse flush with garden hose through the radiator and engine (does the car have to be running?) and thn wait till ur happy and its clear, put all hoses on, use a coke bottle upside down in the radiator cap, make a 60/40coolant water mix due to water still being in the system coz of the water flush, poor in the rad cap until full, fill overflow bottle, run car, turn on heater and top up level??

VYMAD

SILVERFOX
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY EXECUTIVE S2
Not sure how to post links, but there is a How-To in the how to section.

wortus

Reaction score
Members Ride
so i took back the 33% mix and bought 5L of nulon long life concentrate, im just wondering if someone will run through the exact steps. or if this is correct,
wait til car is col, remove bottom hose, let all drain, remove top hose from radiator, reverse flush with garden hose through the radiator and engine (does the car have to be running?) and thn wait till ur happy and its clear, put all hoses on, use a coke bottle upside down in the radiator cap, make a 60/40coolant water mix due to water still being in the system coz of the water flush, poor in the rad cap until full, fill overflow bottle, run car, turn on heater and top up level??

You need 6 litres of Nulon Long Life Coolant and you need to drain at least 6 litres of water from the engine after you flush it and you can do this by removing the heater hoses as well as the bottom radiator hose. Blow out the heater core.

You then add the nulon concentrate, all 6 litres NOT pre mixed of it minus half the amount needed to fill the overflow to the right level. Use the coke bottle to do this with the bleed screw undone, engine off.
Then fill the radiator with clean water until the coolant mix comes out of the bleed screw. Do the screw up and then fill the overflow bottle with a 50/50 mix.
You can then start the motor with the coke bottle in and turn the heater on of you want and if the coolant level drops add some clean water with the bleed screw undone until coolant comes out of the air bleed then tighten the air bleed.
Put the cap back on and your done.

kizza50

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX acclaim S2
i only have 5 liters and cbf with it, at work (mercedes) all we do is drain the radiator and fill it up again. can i pour 4.5 liters into the rad, top it up with water, mix 50/50 fr overflow bottle which will give me a liter and then open bleeder screw, start engine and turn on heater

wortus

Reaction score
Members Ride
i only have 5 liters and cbf with it, at work (mercedes) all we do is drain the radiator and fill it up again. can i pour 4.5 liters into the rad, top it up with water, mix 50/50 fr overflow bottle which will give me a liter and then open bleeder screw, start engine and turn on heater

4.5 litres into the radiator will give you a concentration of about 37% which is not enough. I don't think the overflow needs as much as a litre.
Mixture has to be 50%, if you cbf then just use what you have and take the risk that the cooling system will not corrode or the engine will overheat it's your car.
What I did read somewhere was the 50/50 mix is needed on these engines to stop voids forming in the coolant around the exhaust valves so at 37% you run the risk of this but it's probably enough to be an effective corrosion inhibitor.
Do yourself a favour and go and buy another 2.5 litres of coolant for $24 that way you have 1.5 litres spare should you need to top it up.

kizza50

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX acclaim S2
5L of it coast me $24, so il buy another liter which gives me 6, n it all goes into the radiator except whats needed for the overflow bottle. and then just top up with water, turn car on open heater, and just top up as required?

TA 91 WA

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SII 5.7 LS1