Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

help: coolant change ASAP

wortus

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Series 2 25th Anniversary in Phantom Mica

It's not entirely right as it says 5 litres of coolant, the Buick engines needed 5 litres the Ecotechs need 6. I also wouldn't bother with a cleaning solution unless the existing coolant was dirty etc and likewise I wouldn't take the thermostat cover off unless the thermostat was faulty of the cover was corroded on the end and I'd fill it with a coke bottle or similar with all the hoses fitted up, bleed valve open.

TA 91 WA

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SII 5.7 LS1
It's not entirely right as it says 5 litres of coolant, the Buick engines needed 5 litres the Ecotechs need 6. I also wouldn't bother with a cleaning solution unless the existing coolant was dirty etc and likewise I wouldn't take the thermostat cover off unless the thermostat was faulty of the cover was corroded on the end and I'd fill it with a coke bottle or similar with all the hoses fitted up, bleed valve open.

That is true. Was just referring to that thread as a generalization to the answers for the questions she needs. :)

wortus

Reaction score
Members Ride
5L of it coast me $24, so il buy another liter which gives me 6, n it all goes into the radiator except whats needed for the overflow bottle. and then just top up with water, turn car on open heater, and just top up as required?

$24 is a good price for 5 litres of Nulon Concentrate! Yes you measure how much you need to fill the overflow bottle and keep half that amount of coolant, put the rest into the engine through the radiator cap using the coke bottle trick and then completely fill it with clean water with the bleed valve open. When coolant comes out of the bleed valve shut it off. Then fill up the overflow bottle and put the cap back on the radiator and you should be good to go. You can recheck for any trapped air after you drive it once or twice and it has cooled down by refitting hre coke bottle and filling it with water and opening the bleed screw.

TA 91 WA

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SII 5.7 LS1
How did you post that link? That's what I wanted to do but can't work it out!!!?

If your using Firefox, what I do, is right click the link and select: Copy Link Location.

And then paste it wherever you need it to be pasted :) I'll do a look in internet explorer if you use that :)

kizza50

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX acclaim S2
Ye that's trade price :D ill give it a shot today, thanks for your help guys much appreciated, is draining the Heater core a must? As I'm unaware of which hose Is the Heater one n also how to flush o
It out,

wortus

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ye that's trade price :D ill give it a shot today, thanks for your help guys much appreciated, is draining the Heater core a must? As I'm unaware of which hose Is the Heater one n also how to flush o
It out,

Draining the heater core will just ensure you get as much of the water out as possible therefore reducing the risk of not being able to get the full amount of concentrate into the system. Just disconnect the 2 small hoses from the front of the engine under the alternator that go to the heater tap and blow air into one of them with your mouth then reattach to the engine.

kizza50

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX acclaim S2
Alrite sweet, thanks heaps again, does the car need to be on a level surface or anything? Coz my drive has the front of the car higher then the rear

kizza50

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX acclaim S2
So I did it, I thnk it was a success? But a few little concerns. I flushed out the radiator and all the hoses till it was cleAr water coming out I used a bottle with the end chopped off and the radiator took only 5.5L N then was leaking from Just under wear the cap goes, it wouldn't allow me to top it up with water, I drained the heater hoses, and all that, put all hoses back on started engine turned Heater on full. Put 5050 mix into expansion bottle and that's all good. Waited till thermostat opened, put about 500 ml till radiator was full again,when I drove it, it didn't overheat or anything, and I bled
The system, your opinions of a successful job or not haha?

wortus

Reaction score
Members Ride
So I did it, I thnk it was a success? But a few little concerns. I flushed out the radiator and all the hoses till it was cleAr water coming out I used a bottle with the end chopped off and the radiator took only 5.5L N then was leaking from Just under wear the cap goes, it wouldn't allow me to top it up with water, I drained the heater hoses, and all that, put all hoses back on started engine turned Heater on full. Put 5050 mix into expansion bottle and that's all good. Waited till thermostat opened, put about 500 ml till radiator was full again,when I drove it, it didn't overheat or anything, and I bled
The system, your opinions of a successful job or not haha?

As long as it doesn't overheat and you have the concentration pretty close to 50% it should be OK. When you put the coke bottle in your meant to wrap electrical tape around it first so it becomes a good seal when inserted into the radiator neck.

kizza50

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX acclaim S2
Well I only put in 5.5L of concentrate and A 5050 mix in the expAnsion bottle, should that be close to 50 50? And it hasn't overheated or anything and hasn't lost level in te radiator or anything