Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

help: coolant change ASAP

wortus

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Series 2 25th Anniversary in Phantom Mica
It should be right. You could drain out a bit and add more concentrate if you want to. it works out to about 46%. You could ring Nulon up and ask them what they think.

TA 91 WA

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SII 5.7 LS1
It should be right. You could drain out a bit and add more concentrate if you want to. it works out to about 46%. You could ring Nulon up and ask them what they think.

I don't mean to come across as arrogant, but would 4% really make that much of a difference?

kizza50

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX acclaim S2
I'm pretty happy with it, so jst gonna leave it, will test the amount of etheylne glycol on Tuesday, I might have over filled the expansion bottle,does that matter or is a big deal?

graham7773

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim Wagon
"is draining the Heater core a must"? Last heater core I saw opened, you could grow yabbies in the muck that came out. Not an absolute "must" but if you want your system clean, it is a good idea. as for the method, disconnect both heater hoses on the radiator side, make sure the heater is set to "heat" and push a garden hose in. USE LOW PRESSURE or you will begin finding wet patches on the passenger side floor due to a split heater core

DK-VX

Reaction score
Members Ride
2001 Commodore VX Acclaim
Out of curiosity, how many KM's has the car done? Did it overheat due to low coolant, because it may have something to do with a faulty thermostat or water pump.

wortus

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Series 2 25th Anniversary in Phantom Mica
Even after flushing mine with water and driving it with the heater on flushing the heater core seperately still got a lot of "muck" out so I'd advise doing that if possible. As far as concentration goes what you have is probably OK but I would ring up Nulon and ask. As I understand it 33% is sufficient for corrosion protection as other cars with similar metals in the cooling system only need 33%.
From what I have read in the past the 50% is needed because the coolant can boil around the exhaust valves due to the engine design, 46% or so would probably be enough to stop this but who knows?

Last edited:

pablo

Donating member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Was a 1997 vt v6 wagon
What you have done sounds OK to me kizza50. I recon that 50/50 is a bit of a ball park figure, plus or minus 5% don't think would make any difference.