Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

HELP coolant splurging out of the radiator

bandit0014

Reaction score
Members Ride
89 VN Commodore Wagon
Hi ppls i,ve got a vn 90 wagon with series 1 motor & series 2 radiator so i have the surge tank & the radiator cap done a full service on it as the coolant was a bit brown since then went to the shops came out to see coolant on the ground from my car thought it was head gasket so went & got a c/o test & it did,nt change colour so was told it was ok so can some one tell me the best way to bleed the air out of the cooling system & would i be able to buy a thermostat housing with a bleeder valve to fit my series 1 v6 & is repco coolant alright to use for it all replies welcome:ranting:

pandaman

Aussie Muscle Fan
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Berlina 5.0 A4
Hmm, well where is the coolant actually coming from? If it's coming from the surge tank after a short drive then your thermostat is probably stuck closed. If it's not coming from the surge tank then you probably have bigger problems than air in the system, something is leaking.

holden007

VRII
Reaction score
Members Ride
Subaru Liberty
Bleeding is easy, just bring the car to normal temperature and there is a pressure screw on top of the thermostat, with a phillips head, loosen it and let the air out and tighten it, just becareful that coolant might spray out. Or I suggest that you run your heater for a day or two (like not full day, when you go work and stuff), no air is left this way.

nopatcla

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn executive wagon
bandit0014 said:
Hi ppls i,ve got a vn 90 wagon with series 1 motor & series 2 radiator so i have the surge tank & the radiator cap done a full service on it as the coolant was a bit brown since then went to the shops came out to see coolant on the ground from my car thought it was head gasket so went & got a c/o test & it did,nt change colour so was told it was ok so can some one tell me the best way to bleed the air out of the cooling system & would i be able to buy a thermostat housing with a bleeder valve to fit my series 1 v6 & is repco coolant alright to use for it all replies welcome:ranting:

had the same problem with coolant leeking, turned out to be a dud radiator cap, sometimes pays to check the simple things first.

bandit0014

Reaction score
Members Ride
89 VN Commodore Wagon
Thanks guys holden007 i would use the bleeder screw but it has not got one but i,m changing the thermostat next week on my day of got told to use a coke bottle with the bottom cut out & to just keep the water in there until it takes no more but does any one know if i can get a thermostat housing with a bleeder screw in it for my series 1 motor & where

bandit0014

Reaction score
Members Ride
89 VN Commodore Wagon
Thanks nopatcla but the cap was checked at natrad & it was fine had radiator checked & it was fine to after all the air was out had no more problems so thanks heaps for the replys still going to change the thermostat anyway

pandaman

Aussie Muscle Fan
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Berlina 5.0 A4
bandit0014 said:
Thanks nopatcla but the cap was checked at natrad & it was fine had radiator checked & it was fine to after all the air was out had no more problems so thanks heaps for the replys still going to change the thermostat anyway

Sounds like a plan. At least on the S2 motor the thermostat is easily accessable. Fun thing to do when you've got the old thermostat out is to drop it in a mug of boiling water, if the bugger doesn't open then you know it's faulty.

bandit0014

Reaction score
Members Ride
89 VN Commodore Wagon
yeah i know pandaman but mines a series 1 so i have to take of the throttle body off just to get to it & change it

xcop5l

4th year spanner spinner
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN ex cop 5L
pandaman said:
Fun thing to do when you've got the old thermostat out is to drop it in a mug of boiling water, if the bugger doesn't open then you know it's faulty.

hows that fun???? its like watchin grass grow hehehe

if your trying to get air out the easyst way would be to jack the car up at the front as high as it will go.(when cold) start it and let it warm up to operating temp,have the heater on hot.

leave the cap off when you do this to confirm that there was air in there and also so you know if you need to top it up.
2 other things use stands and make sure its in park with the hand brake on.

holden007

VRII
Reaction score
Members Ride
Subaru Liberty
bandit0014 said:
Thanks guys holden007 i would use the bleeder screw but it has not got one but i,m changing the thermostat next week on my day of got told to use a coke bottle with the bottom cut out & to just keep the water in there until it takes no more but does any one know if i can get a thermostat housing with a bleeder screw in it for my series 1 motor & where

Oh didnt know that, hope it all works out. I still suggest running the heater, I did that and 2 days later, I unscrewed the bleeding screw and no air came out.:yeah: