Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Help! Crunching noises when turn left or right, and grinding noises when braking.

m0rbid

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
Hey. While driving my 98 VT, i was coming up to a + intersection traveling at 70km and the light was green. Some Idiot driver(ford xr6 sky blue) ran the red light running eastwest. i hit the brakes HARD! and had to steer full lock right(other traffic braked and turned everywhich way) while my car was trying to stop.

now i have a crunching noise when i turn the steering wheel in either direction.

and when i now apply the brakes theres a loud grinding noise that you can hear in the cab mixed with the sound of nails on a chalk board coming from obviously the brakes.

Any ideas on whats wrong and how much this is gunna cost me!

magicboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Commodore
take it to the mechanic....my vt 2000 has grinding noises coming from front brakes.... mechanic told me my brakes are too new and they need polishing....

Cúl-Báire

Reaction score
Members Ride
AUII XR8 Ute & BAII XR6
Pull the wheels off, I reckon the caliper has come away from the adapter and is floating around in the front wheel somewhere... This actually happened to mine not long ago, I thought it was a set of **** pads; got one side changed but when I got to the over side to my dismay I found the caliper floating around inside the front wheel, causing damage to the wheel, and possibly myself if I had of needed the brakes in a hurry.

What had happened: the caliper is held onto the adapter with a slidepin, and a bolt which screws into the slidepin. It apears one bolt had vanashed (I am guessing due to no loctite / not being tight enough), and the other bolt had snapped off due to the extra stress put on it while braking. New slide pins, bolts and loctite and it was an easy 5min fix.

disc-brake-diagram.jpg