Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Help diagnosing “Service ESP” [Solved!]

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
After changing the region to Australia/NZ, my VIN correctly identified as a Commodore. There was a similar Service Bulletin (#17-H-030; Document ID: 4855165) listed, with the photos in it now matching what I’d expect.
Great work and thanks for sharing.

But it's work you really shouldn't have had to do considering it was at the dealers for 3 days... The dealer service techs are the experts and the presumption is they can also read so they should have found this service bulletin some time within those three days. Or is it only oil changes that they capable of doing :mad:

By any chance did you save the service bulleting as a PDF which you can attach to this thread?

I'd have a chat to the dealer who quite frankly should have found this service bulletin and thus been able to address your concerns. I'd also look at the bulletin date of the first incarnation of it and if it occured while your car was under warranty, I'd ask why such wasn't checked and the defect remedied before you experianced these issues. I'd then want something from them regarding thepoor service they provided, service whicg sems to be without due car and skill. Maybe a free next service, reimbursment of your acdelco access charges and such :p

I guess what i'm saying is we get shite service because we accept it... I'd like to see more people pushing back when such poor service is provided and paid for. After all, service not provided with due care and skill (as defined under Australian Consumer Law) is considered a defect and as such I'd want a refund and consequential costs reimbursed :cool:

PS: you'd want to check the wiring loom wires real carefully as insulation must have rubbed throughwhere shorts then cause these issues to occur. Moving the loom out they way doesn't resolve any insulation wear related issues, just mitigates the issue but i'd want a proper fix.

kveldulv

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV Redline Reserve
Thanks guys. I did save the PDF, but I see it has already been uploaded! Thanks for that!

As much as I had planned to support the dealers (to help keep these cars running for years to come), i just don't think I'll be going back there for any work. As you can see, the bulletin is dated August 2017, and I've been complaining about this for a long time. There's also too many other signs of sloppiness.

I planned to give them feedback though, although I really don't think they'll care.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
I planned to give them feedback though, although I really don't think they'll care.
With the feeback, I'd also give them the bill for the 3 day susbcription ;)

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Since my last post, I have spent so much time and energy investigating this... and now I can finally provide an update and a conclusion to this saga!

At one point, I decided to pay for 3 days of access to Service Info on acdelcotds.com to ensure I had the most accurate wiring diagrams available.

Making the most of it, I put in my VIN and started browsing through Service Bulletins when I came across #18-NA-270 (Document ID: 5138979). This perfectly matched my problems, from the error codes and modules they’re observed in, through to only happening when hot and under brakes.

At this point (first time I’d used the site) I noticed I had my region set to North America - so my VIN coming up as a “Camaro” wasn’t “a quirk” as I initially thought.

After changing the region to Australia/NZ, my VIN correctly identified as a Commodore. There was a similar Service Bulletin (#17-H-030; Document ID: 4855165) listed, with the photos in it now matching what I’d expect.

The bulletin describes a “rub condition” on the front of the engine which has obviously been known to wear through the wiring harness there.

Using mirrors, and a crappy old borescope camera, I tried my best to inspect for any damage, but could not see any. So, I just pulled the wires as far away from the engine as I could. (One of the steps in the bulletin.)

I went out for a drive, and I couldn’t believe it. For the first time in as long as I can remember, no dials dropping out, no glitching, no “Service ESP”, no other random messages, no issues whatsoever! The “Check Engine Light” also switched itself off.

To be sure, I wanted to give it some time.

It has been over a month now, and the issues have not happened since. So whilst I still need to find and fix where it has rubbed through, at least I know exactly where the problem lies!

It really surprised me, because it’s obviously happened enough to make a service bulletin about it, but nothing of the sort turned up in any searches I did (nor did it occur to the dealer who had my car for three days)

So, hopefully this here will add another possibility for anyone experiencing this dreaded issue.
It should not have taken you to use the system Holden was supposed to in the first place.
It’s always how things have worked out for me. Take it to someone, no ideas. Parts canon loaded. I do not fire. Take home and nut it out myself using Holden info.

Get your shite together auto industry.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Get your shite together auto industry.
And the only way that such can occur is via economic hurt for providing service without due care and skill ;)

One way such economic hurt can be forced on them is to make then pay, in this case by sending them an invoice for the subscription and an few hours of labour reading what they could have if they bothered. And if they ignore, follow with a small claims case which will cost them much more in legal fees...

It's time people started to fight back in such ways. The dollars lost through lots of claims will quickly have them focus on service improvements :p