Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

HELP. ecu unit may be gone.

mike87

Reaction score
Members Ride
04 vz executive - 87 vl executive
hi, need some advise on the following issue. approx 6 months ago my 04 vz exec, started to run a little rough, it continued to get worse until the motor started cutting out. it is now at the mechanics where at first they said it was a faulty key, so they got a new key and programed it to my car. now they tell me that the new key wont start the car and the old one doesn't work. the mechanic seams to think that the ECU is a little dodgy and is waiting for an "expert" to get back from holidays so he can look at the car.

1- can the ECU be fixed?
2- how much is a new one?
3- what aftermarket ECU's are available and how much are they?

any help would be much appreciated.

cheers mike

axemurderer101

Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VY SS
sounds like you need to find a new mechanic lol you wouldnt think a faulty key would cause the car to run rough, and if the old key wont even start the car after they programmed a new key and even the new key wont start it maybe they did something wrong when trying to program the new key

Dangerous Dave

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
WK Caprice
erm, someone correct me if i'm wrong, but VZ key programming is all in the BCM, not the ECU....

2 very different items.. unless there is a comms fault between the 2, but that would mean the car wouldn't have started even before the key was introduced...

impulsive

Alloytec Racing
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Alloytec
new ecu's are expensive to install and tune... and you need one to match the model/series (standard ecu) and year of your car, hard task ahead of you.. i agree with Mr Danger Above, try a new mechanic lol

Big Red VF-SII Go-kart

I love puddles.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII MY17 SV6 (LFX) Sportwagon (SOLD)
hi, need some advise on the following issue. approx 6 months ago my 04 vz exec, started to run a little rough, it continued to get worse until the motor started cutting out. it is now at the mechanics where at first they said it was a faulty key, so they got a new key and programed it to my car. now they tell me that the new key wont start the car and the old one doesn't work. the mechanic seams to think that the ECU is a little dodgy and is waiting for an "expert" to get back from holidays so he can look at the car.

1- can the ECU be fixed?
2- how much is a new one?
3- what aftermarket ECU's are available and how much are they?

any help would be much appreciated.

cheers mike

The mechanic says it is the ECU. Other posters here rightly point out the connection between the remote keys and the BCM, yet neither of these seem relevant to the bigger issue of investigating the engine, e.g. injectors (especially), ignition module, alternator, battery ... what else? Perhaps a dying fuel pump? I cannot imagine a qualified and skilled mechanic passing off something like this as being strictly a problem with the ECU (all other possibilities having been duly eliminated — the question then is, have they?).

2DIE

ONEDOLLAHOLLA
Reaction score
Website
www.torn.com
Members Ride
97 Acclaim
You can probably send yours away to get re flashed or..

PCM / ECM / ECU

New ECU

Mail Order Tunes / Memcals

New tune.

You could probably ask them to put a tune you want on the ECU then send it to you, ready to bolt straight in and go.

I saw a guy the other day talking about a change over mail order ECU with a tune for his VX from these guys, it not real cheap but better than not having a car running I guess.