Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Help! Electronic distributor wiring relay

Discussion in 'Electrical Wiring / Questions' started by anf355, Nov 9, 2018.

1. anf355

anf355 New Member

Members Ride:
    VB Commodore
    Hi,

I'm upgrading my old points distributor to electronic on my VB 253, the two options are bridging the starter and ignition wire to give my coil 12V rather than the original 9V, Do I understand that correct.

I've also read a 12V power source can be run direct to the relay and the original ignition switch can be used as a switch. Relay as follow - 12v = 30 , 87 = ignition (original) , 85= coil and 86=earth (body).

Is this correct?

Is it acceptable run the 12V fromct form the battery post or on the starter or alternator wire?

Cheers Anthony

Last edited: Nov 9, 2018
  2. Smitty

Smitty Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    Gen-F R8 Tourer wagon, VK Clubbie race car
    .. get a VC or VH v8 engine harness and plug that into the socket next to the booster
    that will give you a 12v coil feed, just hook the coil to that

3. anf355

anf355 New Member

Members Ride:
    VB Commodore
    oohf! those wiring looms are getting hard to find and expensive.

4. vc commodore

vc commodore Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    vc commodore
    Last time I checked, I could pick one up for $80....That was 3 years ago and I'm positive that wreckers still has them.....I can also check another wreckers, 70k away from me for price.....

5. the_boozer

the_boozer no more VK

Members Ride:
    Prado
    Tossers in Vic think rooted 6 cylinder L model commodores are worth something why I can no longer be bothered with old holdens.

6. vc commodore

Members Ride:
    vc commodore
    Honestly, I love the older cars and the "thrill" of the chase finding parts.....I've been fortunate enough to find good sources for parts for the older cars at reasonable prices.....So I'll keep on with my old Holden

7. anf355

anf355 New Member

Members Ride:
    VB Commodore
    a few months back I was collecting V8 conversion parts before I purchased this car, found an early commo V8 wiring loom private sale, he wouldn't take less than $150. I think ill just go the relay option, less hassle, cheaper and I wont have to interfere to deeply into the original frail wiring.

Thanks for the advice.

8. anf355

anf355 New Member

Members Ride:
    VB Commodore

You noticed this as well, Ive had a major headache looking for a decent commo at a fair price here in VIC, if something good comes up it sells to quick. I even quoted transport costs on some interstate cars out of desperation. Got lucky in the end, I think. see how much this project costs in the end.

9. the_boozer

the_boozer no more VK

Members Ride:
    Prado
    Good for you ole mate. Do you lose it when you get there and the parts are in the same condition as the bits you've taken off?
    Anthony Federico I think of it as a few old blokes have retired early and stolen our hobby I liked old holdens when they were a poormans car if I wanted to shell out $50k on a car it wouldn't be an old holden but old holdens have always been driven by tossers I guess my oldman had no time for most eh club members 25 years ago.
    Just wire in a relay get the supply from the starter tap or the battery.

10. anf355

anf355 New Member

Members Ride:
    VB Commodore

Haha! yep we've been hijacked by big spenders in the old holden scene. For me id rather not expel energy and money into cars again at this point of my life, the steady increase in price and popularity prompted my decision to purchase again, im gambling on the prices of today being minimal compared to 5-10 years time when I would've been ready to work on cars again.

Yep will go the relay option.

cheers again

the_boozer likes this.
  11. the_boozer

the_boozer no more VK

Members Ride:
    Prado
    You wanna talk about wasting money on old holdens be very carefull mate . Long term projects can waste lots of money especially when you do so much then decide it wont work or its not good enough or just change your mind then your into that much you can even cut your loses and sell up. How much you think this thing owes me.
    https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1em3lQ_PIDlNtN8rpaeapVhYbZNOG6EsM

chrisp likes this.
  12. anf355

anf355 New Member

Members Ride:
    VB Commodore
    You still have it? how far off being finished? whats the plans with it?

Ive been there, well prob not as far as that, years back i turned my last VK car inside out nearly 2 times, 3 set of interior, 3 different engines, respray, upgraded everything, then I sold it around 10-12 years ago for peanuts $7k. would be worth 5-6 times that to the right buyer now. Eventually, this VB will be a stock rebuild, no radical upgrades, no engineers and no super hot engine. haha! who am I kiddin, give me a few years exposure on the scene and I reckon the bug will bite hard again.

Anyway, good luck with your build, I think once you have the car running and enjoying it, the cost wont seem so bad, thats what I tell myself anyway.

13. vc commodore

Members Ride:
    vc commodore
    Why would you say that? Being in the old car scene, it comes with the territory, so it is to be expected.

And the last "new" model car I owned was a 95 model V8 Fairlane....I was 100 odd kays away from my place, with a van on a trailer and the bloody thing crapped both head gaskets....That was the end of the line, as far as newish model stuff is concerned with me..

And I am aware, older stuff can be a money pit, but so can new model stuff....To date by VC owes me about $7,000, from the time I bought minus motor and gearbox, to the current state, where I drive it most days....It was re-sprayed, VS front seats put in and a VT front brake conversion and another supra gearbox put in, because the old one locked into 3rd gear....So overall, I'm happy with where it is at and how much it owes me to this point

Lex likes this.
  14. Wozza

Wozza Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VR_GS commodore
    Old men my arse ...young wipper snippers :)
    I drove them when they were cheap, they sucked then and do now....I have nfi why the price of stuff has gone up so much, hell even VR stuff is getting pricey...I do think it might have been the mining boom CUBS..Hamsters...and a bit of GFC ...all the old farts are doing is laughing all the way to the bank....or like me kicking themselves for letting it all go in a mini skiff :D

back OT isnt there a 12v link on the carb loom for the anti dieseling solenoid? I personally dont like adding relays unless necessary

Last edited: Nov 12, 2018
    the_boozer likes this.
  15. the_boozer

the_boozer no more VK

Members Ride:
    Prado
    I still have the ole EK my friend is going to help me finish it. the plan is to finish the mechanicals then get back to the body ect. Frank threw half my collection of efi holden stuff aside and said he's thinking about it. I've finely found the mental help I need when its on the hoist Ill take some new pictures as something happens. My mate Big Frank has been a real mechanic for 25 years were working on the boat at the moment so we'll need to test that a bit while the weather is good so I cant see much happening on it this year hopefully its on the hoist next week hes got 4 of them and only ever uses the 1 up the front.
    The vc blue motor trimatic and disks all round I'd like to stay. I don't like the current hr crossmeber in it much would like to get rid of the steel bush font end, the original steering box wont work with those wheels the column needs to be collapsible, 2 speed wipers . demister seat belts , pass a brake test and the engineer might pass it if we ever get that far.

16. the_boozer

the_boozer no more VK

Members Ride:
    Prado
    Wozza your Probably a top bloke and gave your old parts to young blokes with dungers years ago plenty of old blokes gave us parts when i was 18 working on h series and vb vc in the driveway.
    Would the solenoid circuit be good for another 10 amps ?

17. vc commodore

Members Ride:
    vc commodore

I noticed prices started going north about 5 years ago, when scrap metal prices were up....Scrappies were taking them to be scrapped and cashing in big time....Now, parts are scarce and people like myself want older cars, for something to play with and most are paying the price for the scarcity

18. Lacksballs

Lacksballs Active Member

Members Ride:
    VK Group C Replica
    Hi Anthony,

Make up your own loom from the booster (as Smitty advises) to your new electronic distributor & coil. There's plenty of suitable plugs available on eBay (I got mine from "allautorecreations1" seller, genuine GM style). Or ask a sparky to make up a loom! There is nothing special about a 1st generation Commodore loom.

VH-VK eng harness.jpg

19. anf355

anf355 New Member

Members Ride:
    VB Commodore
    Ok cheers, will look into making loom, mine is a bit scrapy anyway.

Im enjoying the read, thanks