Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Help! Electronic distributor wiring relay

anf355

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB Commodore
Hi,

I'm upgrading my old points distributor to electronic on my VB 253, the two options are bridging the starter and ignition wire to give my coil 12V rather than the original 9V, Do I understand that correct.

I've also read a 12V power source can be run direct to the relay and the original ignition switch can be used as a switch. Relay as follow - 12v = 30 , 87 = ignition (original) , 85= coil and 86=earth (body).

Is this correct?

Is it acceptable run the 12V fromct form the battery post or on the starter or alternator wire?

Cheers Anthony

Last edited:

Smitty

Reaction score
Members Ride
GenF SV340 R8 Tourer, VK race car, ZX12R
.. get a VC or VH v8 engine harness and plug that into the socket next to the booster
that will give you a 12v coil feed, just hook the coil to that

anf355

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB Commodore
oohf! those wiring looms are getting hard to find and expensive.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
oohf! those wiring looms are getting hard to find and expensive.

Last time I checked, I could pick one up for $80....That was 3 years ago and I'm positive that wreckers still has them.....I can also check another wreckers, 70k away from me for price.....

the_boozer

no more VK
Reaction score
Members Ride
hilux
Last time I checked, I could pick one up for $80.
Tossers in Vic think rooted 6 cylinder L model commodores are worth something why I can no longer be bothered with old holdens.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Tossers in Vic think rooted 6 cylinder L model commodores are worth something why I can no longer be bothered with old holdens.

Honestly, I love the older cars and the "thrill" of the chase finding parts.....I've been fortunate enough to find good sources for parts for the older cars at reasonable prices.....So I'll keep on with my old Holden

anf355

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB Commodore
a few months back I was collecting V8 conversion parts before I purchased this car, found an early commo V8 wiring loom private sale, he wouldn't take less than $150. I think ill just go the relay option, less hassle, cheaper and I wont have to interfere to deeply into the original frail wiring.

Thanks for the advice.

anf355

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB Commodore

You noticed this as well, Ive had a major headache looking for a decent commo at a fair price here in VIC, if something good comes up it sells to quick. I even quoted transport costs on some interstate cars out of desperation. Got lucky in the end, I think. see how much this project costs in the end.

the_boozer

no more VK
Reaction score
Members Ride
hilux
Honestly, I love the older cars and the "thrill" of the chase finding parts.....I've been fortunate enough to find good sources for parts for the older cars at reasonable prices.....So I'll keep on with my old Holden
Good for you ole mate. Do you lose it when you get there and the parts are in the same condition as the bits you've taken off?
Anthony Federico I think of it as a few old blokes have retired early and stolen our hobby I liked old holdens when they were a poormans car if I wanted to shell out $50k on a car it wouldn't be an old holden but old holdens have always been driven by tossers I guess my oldman had no time for most eh club members 25 years ago.
Just wire in a relay get the supply from the starter tap or the battery.

anf355

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB Commodore
Good for you ole mate. Do you lose it when you get there and the parts are in the same condition as the bits you've taken off?
Anthony Federico I think of it as a few old blokes have retired early and stolen our hobby I liked old holdens when they were a poormans car if I wanted to shell out $50k on a car it wouldn't be an old holden but old holdens have always been driven by tossers I guess my oldman had no time for most eh club members 25 years ago.
Just wire in a relay get the supply from the starter tap or the battery.

Haha! yep we've been hijacked by big spenders in the old holden scene. For me id rather not expel energy and money into cars again at this point of my life, the steady increase in price and popularity prompted my decision to purchase again, im gambling on the prices of today being minimal compared to 5-10 years time when I would've been ready to work on cars again.

Yep will go the relay option.

cheers again